Tuesday, January 24, 2012



Today was a day full of awesome. I don't have another, not overused, word for it. I started by waking up to the sound of light rain outside. Stayed in bed and woke up with my instagram, twitter and Facebook feeds as well as my email. I know some say that's a horrible way to start the day but it's really the only thing (besides realizing my alarm didn't go off and I'm running late) that wakes me up. 
If I can get my brain reading and processing information it's less likely that I'll fall right back asleep.

Anyway, enough with the excuses for my guilty pleasures (tomorrow's instagram picture prompt!), after I read and looked over the feeds I ate some breakfast and started cleaning out the pantry. It is my most loved and hated chore to clean and organize cupboards or other areas. I think I just find so many things I can organize and overwhelm and tire myself out. But today I had a time limit and so I could only do the pantry and one cabinet that holds tupperwear. 

Can I just past myself on the back for a second when I tell you how great it looks? Or, how much better than it looked before?! AND as I was going through everything I was getting ideas for food to cook. I'm going to be real honest here right now, I am Broke. Capital B, R, O, K, E. I'm working this one SUPER part time job and working on getting some others in the line up but I'm pretty much needing to only buy things from the grocery store. I'm pretty lucky with how many options are available in mom's grocery store (I mean, the pantry of course). 

Again, off track, my day of awesome... RIGHT, so I organized and felt accomplished and then took a good ol' shower and put on a pretty cute outfit. I love this skirt but it's been in my closet for months. First I thought it was too long or too small and then I realized it was suppose to fit higher on the waist AND it would be a perfect length. (well, I really don't know what perfect is and if it really hits the right area of my legs but it served my cute-for-today purpose!)


Do you see those buttons?! They are the real reason I bought this skirt. Honestly, I picked it up from the bins months ago in Portland and I didn't know if it would fit or not but I figured if nothing else I could have the buttons for a dollar or less! Oh pay by the pound bins how I miss you sometimes. 

I attempted some outfit pictures but really wasn't that impressed with my lighting, location or time to take them so I stopped with a couple and went to my super part time (but totally, completely awesome... seriously I love every minute I spend there) job. Great day there per usual, then talked myself into going to the store for some chicken breast, some spinach and cooking wine. I had in my mind what I was going to make for dinner and those were some of the necessary little pieces.

What did I make for dinner you ask? Well, first, I made myself a nice pasta fresca inspired by the dish by the same name at Noodles and Company. I'm not saying it turned out exact, I was lazy with some of the ingredients and measurements, but it was delicious, and I made enough to have it cold tomorrow for lunch. BONUS.
Oop, I lied, first I cooked what would be the main meal, I made creamy mushroom chicken. It was super simple and didn't end up quite the way I wanted but it was still delicious. Made that with brown rice for my mom, my sister and I. Just call me Suzy (you know, like Suzy Homemaker...). 


After cooking two dishes I still hadn't had enough of the kitchen and I was craving something sweet. I wanted chocolate which I have in my room but I also wanted to whip something up. While greek yogurt, fruit, honey and a little bit of granola is usually my go to dessert, I wanted something different. I remembered seeing two different cans of pumpkin puree and so I made pumpkin muffins (I consider them cupcakes really, I mean with all the sugar, let's just call a spade a spade...) and my goodness. The recipe called for a pound of pumpkin and the can I had was one ounce short but I figured it would work and it did! It DID I tell you!
I ate more than two...


While the muffins cupcakes were baking I sat down to finish up a painting I've been working on. It's going to house my word of the year though I'm still deciding between two or three very similar words. I figure tomorrow, or at the very latest, sometime later this week, I will have my word and will finish the painting. Exciting right? Then I'll be able to share my word of the year!


Cute plate huh? Bought it from Target a few years ago and just found it again. I left it behind when I moved last time and that was just silly. I mean, look at it. It's my paint plate.

I watched Pretty Little Liars and painted until all was done.

A great, great day. Now I'm sitting in my bed under my warm blanket typing this and while pictures are uploading I'm reading The Art of Eating In. So far, really great book. Helping me not be sad that I am not allowing myself to buy fast (or restaurant of any kind) food as often if at all.

I'm starting to get this whole synchronicity thing Julia Cameron was talking about in The Artist's Way. I still have a way to go, but I'm making a genuine effort and keeping my excuses to a minimum and programs that I'm choosing to be a part of are lining up with things I'm reading, or things I'm going through almost perfectly.

Feels good.

2012 is shaping up to be just splendid!

xoxo

p.s. did I mention I also did two load of laundry today? Seriously, new name Suzy... or should it be Susie? or Suzie? Ms. Homemaker? Yeah. There we go. ;)


p.p.s. And just in case you are wondering... cardigan: Urban Outfitter, shirt: American Eagle, skirt: Goodwill bins, ship pocket watch: Urban Outfitter, shoes (barely shown): Target!

No comments:

Post a Comment