Monday, January 2, 2012

The Best (and not so best) of 2011


I know I am a little behind in this, but I have good reason. My New Year was celebrated in Ensenada with awesome friends. I returned today after a great few days I'm back and ready to take over 2012.

When you are small and someone says that the year went by so fast or a certain holiday snuck up on them you have no idea what they mean. Well, I didn't. I thought Christmas took ages to come after Thanksgiving and my birthdays always felt like more than 365 days apart (I guess on leap years they were).
As I've grown, however, I've found what they (parents, teachers, elders) meant. An hour can feel like an eternity while waiting in the DMV but while sitting there you can look back at the past month and wonder where it went.
I'm very thankful I've kept this blog, my journals and my photos over the past few years. Otherwise looking back, like I am now, on the year that is coming to an end, I would feel like nothing much has changed or happened. While I've come full circle to almost exactly the same situation I was in at the end of last year, there have been many things that have happened and changed in between. I try to remember that when I start criticizing myself on where I am and where I am going, when I think I'm not good enough or smart enough or lucky enough.
So many little things have happened, and some big things too, and I'm thankful for the experiences. I don't regret any of the choices I have made along the way and I think that's something important to remember when those day long hour of self doubt creeps up while I am sitting in a waiting room chair.
Reading has helped, writing has too... friends and family have done and been more positive than I expected.

I'm hoping (and going to work my butt off for) great things in 2012. I foresee some heart ache that can't be avoided and some challenged that will seem impossible but I will ultimately come out with many experiences that I wouldn't give up for the world.

With that said, it's time to look at some of the notable events in my life during 2011!!!

January
- Saw Baby Brow's first steps
- Went horseback riding for the first time in years
- finished my first squares blanket
- started 52 in 52
- Stay Golden foot tattoo

February
- moved to Portland
- toured Winchester Mystery House
- toured Hearst Castle for the 3rd time
- finally rode the ferris wheel at The Spectrum

March
- Said goodbye to 24 and hello to 25
- thrifting weekend in Corvallis

April
- moved into my apartment!!!
- went in for dermal piercings

May
- participated in 8 weeks to a better me
- made a rainbow cake

June
- finished Baby B's blanket
- bought an iphone... it's been close to me ever since
- Finished The Dark Tower series
- Started posting for The Printed Word

July
- Started Portland Love
- Berry picking at Sauvie Island
- Dad's fam came to visit and we went on a hike
- Started dream gig of being a Go-Go at Dante's

August
- Started tattoo on arm
- First Happily Wasted Post
- Went to Sauvie Island Beach
- Warped Tour
- dog sat Benny for two weeks
- saw the lovely boys of Vanna

September
- first color appointment for arm piece
- I wore a dress, and went out... at night... to a bar!
- Five years vegetarian
- finished the rainbow blanket for Unicorn Sparkle(bottom)s
- started The Artist's Way
- took a photography class on the Holga

October
- had a cozy blogger meet up
- car was totaled
- visited home
- saw Taylor Swift in concert!!!
- went to Sea World with Baby Brows and family
- last appointment for tattoo! All colored in!
- said goodbye to my first all-by-myself apartment
- Sunday before Halloween, my last night as a go go at Dante's... :/

November
- journeyed home
- learned how to thread my sewing machine
- surprised mom with a Christmas tree
- started pen pal letters with Erika and Amanda
- finished my 52nd book of the year!

December
- Decorated the tree
- Bambi took me to see She Wants Revenge
- kind of celebrated my sister B's birthday
- started a new blanket project
- saw my Vanna lovelies again
- managed to get my mom's car towed in Anaheim ($300 dollars later...)
- had one of my dermals taken out :(
- helped Dad's fam decorate the office with lights
- painted on canvas
- ate meat for the first time in 5 years...
- had my other dermal piercing taken out... :(
- made my first call to 911 :(
- went to the Zoo Safari (Wild Animal Park) with Baby and SeƱor Brows
- went to Mexico to bring in the New Year!!!

I am so stoked for 2012!!!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment