Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Best New Year EVER


*








*
*
*







*

*
*



**



*

Where do I even begin... Maybe with a little history about my NYE celebrations years past. Most times my new year is rung in with a book, or a small group of friends, sometimes drama, but rarely a large amount of alcohol and never before at a hotel. This year was one for the books. 

We left Friday evening, Señor Brows and I hung out at Casa de Brows until Unicorn Sparkle(bottom)s came home from work. When she came home I started cutting cards out of printed sheets for a game that would be played on the trip. I'll just say it now, it's like Apples to Apples but for those with a really warped sense of humor. It fit the group perfectly. I was laughing while cutting out the pieces. The Brows packed and as they did other party people started to arrive. Yeah, I said it, party people. And the drinking began. We made our way to the bus (the mode of transportation for the trip) and then we were on our way to Mexico. Someone was already sauced (not I... I had my first drink on the bus... is that legal? If it's not it totally didn't happen) by the time we sat in our seats and the rest of us were looking for a buzz and laughing at the crazy movie we decided to bring along. After an interesting bathroom break and a repeat of The Karen Carpenter Story told through Barbie stop-motion animation (yeah, crazy) we arrived at our destination. I was slightly surprised to say we kept the first night pretty mellow, but only slightly because I could barely keep my eyes open. We sat by the bar, I added a Cadillac Margarita to the two 7-up and vodkas I had sipped earlier and was feeling very giggly and sleepy. Tequila does that to me every time. 

I started Saturday with a mimosa, a tour of the hotel, a look at a family boat and finally a small wine tasting tour. I had some wine even though it wasn't of the sparkling variety. What a trooper! 

Saturday night we prepared in our rooms then met in Cuarto de Brows and pre-partied. Well, they did, I was holding out for my margaritas. After our pre-party we decided we were going to be the best looking group in the place and headed downstairs. We weren't wrong.
We started our meal, and I just have to put it out there, one of the dishes had a cricket on/in it. On purpose. Which is where the picture of Señor Brows petting the cricket comes in. 
There were props, fake, like incredibly fake diamonds that we hoarded all through the night, as well as our Happy New Year hats and headbands and some mardi gras beads. 
Moving on, we were eating, people started dancing, we started dancing, balloons were passed out, the band was awesome, we screamed the countdown, kisses and hugs were given all around.
More dancing.
Some more dancing.
Drinks.
More dancing and yelling and photobombing. Sticking the long balloons in each other's mouths and rubbing them on each other's faces (seriously we were like teen boys in our humor), singing along or not. I knew some of the songs in Spanish due to my childhood obsession with Selena (after the movie came out). 
More dancing.
more drinking (by this point I was on my second margarita AND had a flute of champagne when we hit the new year so I was good, and done with drinking)
I'm pretty sure we had the most fun out of anybody at that party. Not saying other people weren't as tipsy or dancy as we were, but seriously, we are some of the most hilarious people we know, especially when in a group... and we all danced like no one was watching, or like they were and we wanted to show them our great new moves. 

The first of the year was spend eating, getting a massage, lounging and crying so many tears of laughter from a really warped card game that is similar to Apples to Apples. It is not for the faint of heart, especially not with us playing it... while hung over and full of self loathing and loving. It is possible to feel both at the same time, I've seen it in action. At some point we pulled it slightly together and went downstairs to have dinner in the restaurant then came back up and watched a movie. I think if any of us had the energy we would have tried to play catch phrase but I had decided for one last margarita with dinner and laying down with my eyes glued to the tv was the only thing I was capable of, and I was one of the least hung over of the group...

I can't put into words the amount of crazy and hilarious fun I had this weekend. There were so many jokes, so many tears from laughing so hard, so many good conversations (serious and not). There had been talk of the worst movie ever on the bus (Splice) and jokes about a different movie (The Fugitive) and BOTH ended up playing over the course of our stay (and not because we brought or ordered them). 

I couldn't have dreamed of a New Year celebration this great.

Oh yes, and I crossed off the goal of getting a professional massage (for the first time ever) off of my list for the year!

Some say that how you spend nye and new year's day is how you will spend the rest of your year. I'm so beyond good with that.

xoxo

*pictures not taken by other members of the group
**sorry for the curse word, it was just my favorite (and probably most appropriate for the blog) answer card from the game

No comments:

Post a Comment