Monday, November 7, 2011

Stuff and Things


I'm getting ready to move my stuff around again, I moved out of my first one bedroom apartment and I once again find myself on dear Nicole's air mattress on her floor. It's a little more cozy this time than last... She has a studio now and no basement to hide all of my stuff. 
Good news, I gave a BUNCH of stuff away before I started crashing here. It is AMAZING how much stuff I accumulated in the past 8 months. Ridiculous actually, not that amazing at all.

So I decided that I didn't want any more than could fit in a car once again. Maybe a slightly bigger car than the one that I drove up here (and is now totaled) but a 4 door sedan none the less. Today I went through my stuff again and I think I've done it! I think I've narrowed it down to things that will fit in a car. It's difficult sometimes. I mean, a girl needs clothes and books and what not. By the way, on the subject of books, I have parred them down a HUGE amount... I'm patting myself on the back here. 

I keep wondering if I can get rid of more, I mean, when my Dad was my age he'd take a backpack when he moved. Yup, clothes, undies, wallet, keys, good to go. 
That's less than I carry in my purse all day every day. 

So I bargained with myself and decided everything that fits in a car. One day, when I have nice house stuff, dishes I actually like, pots and pans, etc, I will have to upgrade my space to that of an suv at least. ;) But for now, a car works and for that I am quite proud of myself.

I'm going to try from here on out to really think about the things I bring into my home (or Nicole's...haha). It all adds up fast, fast, fast and things I THINK I need end up going to someone else reaaaal fast. I need a want list to stick to. 

Some of the stuff I gave away

I just don't want to be tied down to things. I've been thinking a lot about this for several months now for a couple of different reasons. I mean, there's The Burning House Project for starters. I mean, what would I grab if my house were on fire? Should I keep those things in a bag by a door? Should I have copies of those things (like pictures and stuff) elsewhere if I want to display them? While I do adore all that I have kept this time through I can't say I would cry more than a day over most of my stuff if it were to go up. I mean, maybe a dress or two, there is that Betty Page one, a record, a book, a stuffed bear. I've backed up most of my pictures on an external hard drive and now have a fire and waterproof safe to keep it in. So I wouldn't need to grab that. Come back for it later.
That's one of my reasons for thinking about the amount of stuff I have, another is my constant want to try new places. If I have a bunch of stuff bogging me down I might not feel like I can get up and go even if the opportunity arises. Yes, I know there are storage places, but there's a line in Eat Pray Love (the movie and maybe the book) where she's looking into the storage unit she's putting all her stuff in and she says "I can't believe my whole life fits in this thing" and the guy helping her says something to the effect of "no one can." I think there's another line in another movie where someone puts all of their stuff in a storage unit and something is said about how many people never return for what they considered their "whole life." 

I've stuck to buying books and art lately. Well, and food, but that doesn't get left around unless we are talking fat cells and those I don't really mind losing. :)
Art to make my home, where ever it may be, pretty and cozy and books to read, to learn, and to inspire. I'm headed into a record kick soon, I can feel it. I am keeping my favorite cds until I have the vinyl version to replace them. They'll fit just fine digitally in my computer and external hard drive.

I don't want to be owned by things, I want to be made up of memories and laughter and accomplishments. 

What about you? What are your thoughts on things?

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I have been feeling this same way lately! I just read The 4-hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss and I just feel like I'm living all wrong! Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did you like The 4-Hour Workweek? I have been meaning to read that.

    ReplyDelete