Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Artist's Way: Week 4


Goals of 12 week program: 
1. Learn to be gentle and positive with and about myself
2. Start habit of morning pages that will carry on for life
3. Break down the liver's (like to live, not liver like thing my generation abuses) block

Here's the deal, I had to do this week twice. I thought about it after the first time with Week 4 was over and I realized did not give it even half of the attention it deserved and so I decided to go through the week again. I re-read the parts I had underlined the first time I read through it and then gave myself some time each day to work on a task. I paid more attention AND focused on getting my morning pages in. So, this post is going to be about the second time I went through Week 4. 

Week Four: Recovering a Sense of Integrity
This week was about solitude, about finding out what my real feelings, wants and needs were outside of what I publicly acknowledge to be my feelings, wants and needs. There was a call to action, or a call to inaction when it came to reading. I must admit, I didn't do that well on that part. I would catch up on blogs and then realize that counted as reading, or I would not be able to stay away from a book, so in order to compromise I would work on another project first, or do a task in this book but then I would read a chapter (or more) of a different book before bed. 
In reading less, (or not at all as Cameron called for) you have more time to do other things and she theorizes that once you stop reading (besides the chapter for the week) you'll eventually be forced to do other things. I think it was a way to realize that even seemingly good things can distract you from creative work.

My Favorite Quotation:
One of the clearest signals that something healthy is afoot is the impulse to weed out, sort through, and discard old clothes, papers and belongings.

Favorite Task:
Describe your ideal environment...

My ideal environment changes often but the one that I always come back to is this photo I found in a magazine of a women in the doorway of her small cabin (and I mean small). This cabin was her writing room. She had very few things in there, no internet hook up, just a computer to type on, journals to write in and a coffeepot or something. Well the details I am imagining and trying to remember from the interview with her. But something like that feels like my ideal environment. A cozy house or room, with a desk with little on it, maybe journals and pens to write with. Books, lots of books, see my ideal place wouldn't be  my work zone, but I could work in that area if I wanted to. It would be my happy place. Comfy chair in a corner with a good reading light above it. The desk facing a window, not a wall, so I could look out and see the seasons. My favorite season? Fall. The different colored leaves on the ground, wet from recent rain. 
My other ideal (I guess I'm greedy, or flexible, with two) is an east coast style beach house, with a back and or wrap around porch that looks out to the ocean. Maybe a pier leading to the shore, not 100% sure but I would be able to go out on this porch wrapped in a cable knit sweater and drink tea and write or read while taking in the sounds of the ocean and every once in a while (or all the time) staring off into the sea. This ideal situation takes place in the morning, with fog. Not a fog you can't see through but a little bit of a haze.



Check In:
1. Morning pages: 6/7

2. Artist Date: 
No artist date that I can remember. This isn't to say I am not leaving the house and having a horrid time, that's not the case at all. But artist dates call for being alone when exploring new things or going places and most of the time I just wanted to be able to share the experiences with friends. Friend dates instead of artist dates this week. But they are supportive friends, so I guess that's better than nothing right?!

3. Instances of Synchronicity: 
Synchronicity was popping up all over the place during week 4. Job interviews, opportunities etc all possible. Things were looking rosy. And while they didn't all crash and burn (remember I'm behind on these so I'm now into week 6) they didn't work out quite as wanted. Maybe my week 6 synchronicity will take care of that.

4. Other issues:
Is there a right or wrong way to do the morning pages? Only issue. Am I doing it right? Is there a right way? I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of this!


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment