Friday, October 7, 2011

Portland Love: Ken's Artisan Pizza & The Pied Cow



Portland Love is a series in which I take to the streets of Portland, eating at new places, shopping at new shops, smelling old books and doing my best to not get too wet without the use of an umbrella. It's my way of falling in love with this city over and over again while sharing it with you. Enjoy! 



A couple months ago, Nicole and I ventured out of our eating comfort zone to check out one totally new place to eat. It's not secret between me and my friends that I have the hardest time thinking of places I want to go eat, or even what type of food I want to eat so when the craving for awesome pizza hit I decided it was time to bite the bullet and shell out the cash for some Ken's Artisan Pizza.
After eating at Urbn in Hillcrest (San Diego) I was pretty sure I was ready for some Ken's and I was hoping it would be up to par. Most of the time when I get a craving it is really specific and often I find myself disappointed by what I eat. Sounds like a personal problem... yeah, it is. :) Alright I'll get on with it then...


While my picture of Ken's lacks any sort of skill, the food was quite the opposite. (And the waiters were pretty attractive... just sayin) I ordered the Margherita and Arugula pizza without cheese. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this in the past, it's kind of a big deal to people... I don't eat cheese on pizza. In fact, I really only eat cheese in very small quantities on top of a veggie lasagna (of my making), in burritos and on scrambled eggs (again that I make). I know, I know, it's strange and weird and no I'm not vegan though I've thought about trying to be several times... I just don't like cheese very much at all. I haven't since I was little. 
Back to Ken's. So they were happy to make my pizza sans cheese and this lovely salad-pizza is what came to my table.


Good thing I love arugula! 
The pizza was delicious. I tried to only eat half but that rarely works for me so I kept going and left one (maybe 2) pieces for the next day. 

Nicole ordered something similar I think, but I don't really remember. All I remember is she loved it. 

After our pizza love we decided to hit up The Pied Cow. Let me just tell you my memory of the place. I ordered a crepe and was brought a flaming plate. Yup, on fire.


(again my location picture is lackluster...) 

We ventured over to The Pied Cow, sat in possibly the same seat I sat in years and years ago with my friend and then roommate Sarah and ordered. 
Again I ordered the flaming banana crepe. 

(see Nutella Banana Crepe... it says, served flaming...)

I tried to get a picture of it while it was flaming but the flame went out right when I pushed the camera button on my phone. I guess I'll just have to be better prepared next time. And there will be a next time.

I know it doesn't look like much here but believe me when I say it was incredibly delicious!

I completely and totally recommend both places and will be going back when I decide I want to not only splurge on dinner and dessert. My stomach was a very happy camper after that night.

Find them here:

304 SE 28th Ave. 
(corner of 28th & Pine)
Portland, Oregon 97214

The Pied Cow
3244 SE Belmont St PortlandOR 97214




xoxo

If you have a place you want me to check out feel free to leave me a comment or email me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment