Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Books of September

This book was a bit difficult for me seeing as lately I've read really easy to breeze through stuff. The writing was a little harder for me to get caught up in but I kept going. I don't think I'll be reading The Call of the Wild anytime soon I am glad I read it. There were many times I found myself skipping over sailing terminology and once I even tried to look up the anatomy of a sailing ship on google but it was on my phone and didn't find the terms I was looking for so I quickly gave up and stuck with the main idea behind the story.

I loved this book. It was a very fast read about a writer who took on one class for 3 years to keep pushing them on their creative writing skills. He obviously becomes attached to the students and he tries to share their stories through this memoir. Great read.

This is the second (3rd?) memoir of an addict slash writer. While the subject matter was depressing the language kept drawing me back in. I could put down the book and still be relatively happy even though I may have read a really depressing chapter. I have a hard time disconnecting from a feeling in a book usually so that came as a pleasant surprise. I try not to read any addiction stories that aren't also tied to literature and writing because I get so bogged down in the suffering.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Karr writes beautifully and each sentence rolls into the next making the story easy to follow.

see my review here

Great, great, wonderful book. Couldn't put it down. 

It is very safe to say I did not really enjoy this book quite as thoroughly as many of my friends have. I'm not sure I understand the thoughts and feelings behind the time period. I also have problems with other writers from this time.
I do have to say though, as I went searching for and image of the same cover as the book I read, I did come across a blog post where a man briefly talks about the book and in reading that short blurb I was able to appreciate the book a little more, if more for the actions than the emotions. See it here.


So there's the list for September. I started and left behind one book, another two I am still with... one fiction and one a workbook that I will be keeping company for the next 12 weeks.
My total now (not counting the partially read books) is 

46 out of 52!!! I only have 6 more to go and I still have 3 months.

The best part, this hasn't even felt like work. I've loved this goal/project the whole way through.

What have you been reading?

xoxo


1 comment:

  1. LOVE that I have some new books to read! I'm really curious to check out I Am A Pencil.

    ReplyDelete