Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Portland Love: The Black Apple


Portland Love is a series in which I take to the streets of Portland, eating at new places, shopping at new shops, smelling old books and doing my best to not get too wet without the use of an umbrella. It's my way of falling in love with this city over and over again while sharing it with you. Enjoy! 

Normally for Portland Love, or previously for Portland Love I have talked about restaurants and places. Mostly food things. Today I'm going to switch it up a little. For funsies and what not.

Today Amanda (she finally moved here AHHHHH YAY!) and I took a stroll around Hawthorne. I introduced her to some of my favorite shops to find little things and during this time I reinstated my love for a Portland artist. She goes by The Black Apple and her paintings are gorgeous.

Simply unabashedly to die for gorgeous.


I found Ms. (Mrs.?) Emily Martin a year or so back in San Francisco during the Renegade Craft Fair. There I wanted to by a print that spoke of my future... it looked like this:


I still have yet to get this one but it is on my list! 

A few months after that I went to Portland and stopped by one of the aforementioned favorite shops on Hawthorne and there found this print:


I thought it was beautiful and darling and so I bought it and took it back home with me to San Diego. I didn't ever hang it up though (I am really bad about hanging my pictures up) and so I kept it with other beautiful things, protected in plastic.

Today while browsing the shop I once again found her art and couldn't resist buying another one. I was looking for my redhead tattooed girl but was unable to find her.

 

It was between these two prints but I decided on the first one for now. Don't worry, the bottom one is still on my list of future purchases!

Amanda had been telling me of her plans to adopt a small hedgehog earlier while I had been eating lunch  (she watched me chew) and so when I was looking through the art I died (but not before showing her) because I found her perfect picture.

Her man wears glasses, she use to have this haircute AND there's her future pet!
Adorable.

So yeah, we died and came back to life over this art. I mean, she paints pictures of fairs and circuses. My favorite things to take pictures of and look at. And tattooed ladies?! Oh I'm in love.

Here are some of the others on my "to buy" list.
Oh if only I weren't perpetually broke...

 gorgeous tarot reader

 tattooed lady!
 me with an arrow through my head

future husband


I'm now obsessed. I had a little button of a ferris wheel on a sweatshirt recently but I lost the sweatshirt... shoot. So this time I bought a button of a hot air ballon... one of my future tattoos, why yes!

Fall in love with her here:

the shop I bought the print and button at: 
Presents of Mind
3633 SE Hawthorne,
Portland, OR 97214


p.s. Amanda also blogs occasionally... right here.

xoxo


If you have a place you want me to check out feel free to leave me a comment or email me! 


1 comment: