Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Portland Love: Cupcake Jones



Portland Love is a series in which I take to the streets of Portland, eating at new places, shopping at new shops, smelling old books and doing my best to not get too wet without the use of an umbrella. It's my way of falling in love with this city over and over again while sharing it with you. Enjoy! 


My first memory of Cupcake Jones I can thank my friend Noah for. We were studying hard (or hardly studying) for one of our classes during our last term at PSU and he needed to run a couple errands while I held down the study room in the basement of the library. Seriously this room was cave like. 
Noah popped out for a bit and when he returned he had two, yes two, gifts for me. (I have called Noah my fairy godfather/mother ever since he first took me to dinner... he likes men but takes care of me better than any guy I've dated... he's a gem) He brought me an infinity scarf from American Apparel and cupcakes from his favorite spot at Cupcake Jones. Now that I say this I think I am lying. This might not be the first memory of Cupcake Jones and Noah. 
My first, first memory of Noah and cupcakes was my 22nd birthday. I was working at Buffalo Exchange on Hawthorne at the time (a place to put in this series for sure!) and my birthday seemed like a bit of a dud. Noah came to the rescue visiting me at work and bringing me gorgeous cupcakes... again with being the fairy godfather.

One day, after getting my hair cut by my friend Mike (who I dragged around to different places today taking pictures for this series) we got some thai food at a favorite place of his and then I was craving a cupcake like mad. 

We went to Cupcake Jones and I couldn't decide on just one flavor so I  bought a mini one of each. 

In the container:
Velvet Painting
The Pearl
Peanut Butter Cup
The bottom two I am not sure about but I think the one with the white and red topping is strawberry something.

I'm going to be very honest here. I love Betty Crocker cakes and even more so I love making cupcakes out of Betty Crocker cake batter. There's something so moist about her super moist cakes I just can't get enough of and I haven't found many places that can replicate that in their cupcakes.
Cupcake Jones obviously has different varieties of flavors than box Betty Crocker can offer so that is a bonus. 
The cupcakes were good though I don't think I am going to be going back anytime soon. If you like gourmet cupcakes then DEFINITELY go in. They know their art well. Unfortunately I am just a box cake kind of girl so I don't know how to appreciate them as much.

I do appreciate the memories and the skill that goes into those cupcakes though.

To Visit:
307 NW 10th Ave
Portland, 97209

What are your thoughts on the gourmet cupcake fad? Do you like box cakes as much as I do?

xoxo

If you have a place you want me to check out feel free to leave me a comment or email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment