Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Between the Lines: Animal Dreams

Between the lines is a place where I share a very small bit of a wonderful book. Or maybe a small but wonderful part in an otherwise lousy book. Or maybe somewhere in the middle. Between the Lines is my way of sharing things I may or may not underline (depending on if you think writing in books and cracking spines is loving books or abusing them) while reading, passages that hit home or are just too beautiful not to share. Read along!


I started reading this book at the same time that I started reading Walking On Water. I told myself I would keep the other book for day and this one for bedtime. Like a bedtime story. That lasted for a bit but then I became obsessed (and too close to the end) with Walking On Water so I went back to reading one book at a time. 
After I finished Walking On Water I thought about starting another non-fiction book while staying with Animal Dreams but quickly decided against it. I really am getting a lot better about reading one book at a time.

So, my thoughts...

Gorgeous book. I find that parts of the story were incredibly predictable but maybe that's just because I've read a lot and pick up on foreshadowing really well most times. (Except in the movie Crazy Stupid Love, that one got me good.) 

I've noticed a pattern in my reading lately, definitely a lot of books intentionally and unintentionally dealing with the Earth, how we are using it's resources, food and education. This book was no exception.

I really don't know the best way to introduce these quotations so I'll just put it in after this. Maybe over time with these posts I'll start finding the best format.
"'Really, it's like the spirits have made a deal with us.'
'And what is the deal?' I asked.
'We're on our own. The spirits have been good enough to let us live here and use the utilities, and we're saying: We know how nice you're being. We appreciate the rain, we apprecieate the sun, we appreciate the deer we took. Sorry if we messed up anything. You've gone to a lot of trouble, and we'll try to be good guests.'"

Here's to attempting to be better guest of this world.

xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment