Friday, August 26, 2011

Portland Love: Sauvie Island Beaches


Portland Love is a series in which I take to the streets of Portland, eating at new places, shopping at new shops, smelling old books and doing my best to not get too wet without the use of an umbrella. It's my way of falling in love with this city over and over again while sharing it with you. Enjoy! 

Last weekend Nicole and I ventured out to the Sauvie Island Beaches. I was super excited to get myself to a beach again seeing how I haven't seen one since I left California...
I didn't know what to expect because I wasn't thinking beaches like home but Sauvie Island brought it! 
First, the sand was pretty close to home. The gentle sloshing of the water on the shore was relaxing.

We took a pretty long drive around the island with a police man on our tail... stressed me out because lately I've been waiting for Chase to get the title to my car transferred to Oregon but they are taking their sweet sweet time and so, against better judgement I was driving with expired plates AND expired travel permit... I have since stopped driving more than a couple blocks (groceries & work) until this all gets figured out. Thanks a billion Chase. Really, kick rocks.

Anyway, back to peaceful and wonderful Sauvie Island...

Perfect temperature that day, slight breeze. 

Gorgeous!

Relaxed

Looking up

 Nicole's serious face...

Asking how Benny was liking it. 

A Boat! 

Perfect angle Benny, making your mom look like she's eating your ear. Silly goose.

A log. 

 Two guys stealing a long log, they eventually hopped on a few and called it their boat. 

Benny looking quite thoughtful.

The road home.

After we lost the police officer (who never pulled me over and was talking on their phone the whole time) we bought a parking ticket and found our spot to settle in. We put our blankets/towels down and Nicole got down to sunbathing business... and I started smelling something slightly illegal. Oh kids down the way a bit. They realized we could smell what was going on but we just shook our heads and talked some more. I was hoping secretly the police man following me would show up on the beach but alas no such thing happened and it's probably not good karma to wish a policeman upon someone else when you have something you need fixed... :)

As documented above there were boys moving logs and putting them together to make rafts to lazily float on with drinks. I just laughed at their efforts.

Benny didn't really know what to think of everything. He would occaisionally want to go see what another group was doing but he doesn't like to get far from Nicole so he'd stop and contemplate the water. Nicole tried to get him to go in but he was NOT having that so she got her feet wet and then went back to sunbathing.

As we left I decided I needed to come visit these beaches a couple more times before the season ended. While it wasn't free it was definitely cheaper than walking around downtown or even on Hawthorne. 

Next time I think we should bring food for a picnic!


xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I love Nicole's bikini! Can you ask her what the brand is for me? Not that they still are making it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just asked her via FB. She will let me know soon!

      Delete