Saturday, August 6, 2011

Portland Love: Robot Piercing and Tattoo



Portland Love is a series in which I take to the streets of Portland, eating at new places, shopping at new shops, smelling old books and doing my best to not get too wet without the use of an umbrella. It's my way of falling in love with this city over and over again while sharing it with you. Enjoy! 




Today's place of love and affection: Robot Piercing and Tattoo


Robot Piercing and Tattoo is my favorite piercing place of all time. I've been to a couple in San Diego and I've been to a couple in Portland, and while a couple were definitely good, Robot is great.

First things first, Robot makes you feel comfortable. They answer any questions you have, explain processes really well and support healthy healing habits.
A personal pet peeve (and indicator of a not top notch shop) is when a shop sells H2Ocean products. For those of you not into body mods, H2Ocean is a salt water spray sold by some piercing shops to care for your piercing. The stuff is a gimmick. While you are definitely suppose to soak your piercing in salt water during the first month or so, it is not advised to spray it with cold or even room temperature salt water which is what comes out of this spray can. When you soak a piercing you are suppose to get the water as warm as possible without burning yourself so the skin opens up and the dirt and germs get pulled out. H2Ocean does not do this. When I see a shop selling this I know they are mostly about money and not about giving their customer a great body mod.
end rant

Robot does not sell H2Ocean products and they have all the paperwork stating why it is bad for a piercing.

Other reasons Robot is rad.
Their jewelry collection is awesome, they talk you through the piercing before it, when they do it they also talk you through it. They don't rush you if you feel a little light headed after and just need to sit AND if you go in a couple times and make conversation they remember you when they see you around town.
Plus, if you are really paranoid and think your piercing is infected or pushing out of the skin they look at it for you and tell you what's going on without making you feel dumb.

Last but not least I recently went in for aforementioned paranoia and asked about tattoos. The wonderful lady (who goes by the name of Shauna) I spoke to, who happened to be one of the tattoo artists was so helpful. She gave me a ton of advice on the process for a big piece. So friendly, helpful and full of information. They were closing and I never got the "get out of here" vibe.

So, if you are in Portland and you just need a tattoo or piercing I suggest Robot. I swear by them.

Robot
2330 NW Westover Road 
Portland, OR 97210  

xoxo

If you have a place you want me to check out feel free to leave me a comment or email me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment