Saturday, August 6, 2011

Julie & Julia: A Review and Introspection


Recently I decided to sign up for Netflix for a 30 day trial and while I'm not enjoying the lack of movies I want to see on Instant Watch I am liking some of the movies I am taking in.

Tonight I am watching Julie and Julia. It has been a great, great choice. I almost think I need to purchase it eventually when I need some blogging inspiration. Like I've needed lately.

It's not that I don't love you blog readers, believe me I do, I just don't always love what I write or I feel like I lack ideas. I am so inspired by other blogs but I don't want to copy and I don't always have ideas of my own I fully believe in. That and I take on too many projects and don't finish one at a time.

Maybe it's because I don't have one focus. I don't have one thing that calms me down no matter what. That's why I get so inspired by these movies and all of the memoirs I've been reading lately. (Just for the record I read Julie and Julia a while back. I wish I kept it but will probably buy a cheap copy again.) I can't imagine being so immersed and in love with one thing, maybe besides reading. But even that I take breaks from. I don't spend hours and hours reading each day but I can say I read just about anything in sight. I read cereal boxes (over and over even if I know what they say already), I read shirts, I read bumper stickers, I try to read license plates even if they aren't specialty plates... I read a lot.

But back to the movie.

I loved the movie. I heard reviews where people only liked the Julie part or others only liked the Julia part but I really liked both. I loved the movie. I will rate it 5 out of 5 stars on Netflix when they ask me to.


I mean, it has a lost at sea (the sea of the mind and crappy work) writer who's trying to find somethings to really look forward to each day, she happens to be a redhead, there is delicious food, cute kitchens, awesome typing sounds, wine galore and two stories of triumph. I need movies like this in my life. I need to own this movie for my creative spirit.



There is this one scene that just stuck with me far past any other. It starts with the image above. Julie and husband are about to eat this gorgeous cake and the Mr doesn't even wait for her to cut it right. He cuts a piece off, picks it up with his hand and shoves it toward his face. The scene goes on with the couple getting messier and messier with the cake until Mr. is literally rubbing the cake on and around his mouth. I don't think I could come up with a better image for pure, unadulterated enjoyment of food. 
Yes, I have loved food but have I ever loved something so much that I was inspired to rub it on my face? I mean, of course the point was to be silly with the cake and eat it as messy as possible to outdo one another but still. It was perfect.

I want to enjoy my food that much. I want to be able to bathe in the tastes of the food I eat. I want to stop craving the junk that I eat frequently.

I guess this movie fell in line with a few things I've been working on and thinking about lately. My writing, my blog, the food I eat, enjoyment, projects and life. 

My last thought before closing this computer down and hoping into bed to get through at least a chapter of The Hours is "never apologize." Julia says this when talking about food imperfections and Elsie said it about blogging in her online course. It's very true. While I feel like I've slacked on my blog and sometimes post three times in a day and other times stay quiet for three days in a row I have to remember that this is for fun. It is a guilt free zone.


What movie and or book has really inspired or struck a chord with the things you've been mulling over lately?

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. I loved this movie too. Netflix instant is interesting. You should do a blog post (or a feature?) of Netflix Instant movies you recommend! I would love it! I'm thinking of doing on too :)

    http://breatheandhush.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i can find enough movies to watch instantly I will do just that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guh, I don't know how many times I've seen that movie. It's sooo good!

    I agree with never apologizing. It's never fun to be apologized to when you're catching up on blogs, especially when you're just excited that someone's started blogging again. This is a very forgiving and supportive community, and hopefully we can all learn to turn those positive attitudes toward ourselves.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    - Mel

    ReplyDelete