Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Books of February

While I didn't read nearly as much this month as last month I did get a few books read. Just today I finished a book I started last night but I think I'm going to count that in March books. I'm sure the suspense is killing you. 

Until then, here are the books of February:

Started in January, finished in February:
I loved this book. It was cute and fun and there were sad bits too. I initially almost didn't buy it because it was about a baby but Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird really impressed me so I decided to take my changes. Thank goodness I did! She's becoming one of my favorites for sure.

I started, middled and finished in February:
I have to be honest, I often judge books by their covers. There are so many classics that have such bland covers. I saw this and a Wuthering Heights with an equally impressive cover and finally decided to dig into Jane Eyre. I was planning on reading the book for a while anyway, it just so happened that that specific cover made me want to read it sooner than later. I'm honestly thinking about starting a Jane Eyre collection due to the fact that there are several very pretty covers for this book.
As far as the story went... I enjoyed it immensely. I didn't want to put it down and I didn't ever get bored with the writing. The best part was the day I started reading the first page my sister sent me a message saying she was reading it for her English class. Funny coincidence for sure. 

Found this at Goodwill and decided it must be bought. I love Neil Gaiman. I started reading him when I god a book titled Good Omens which he co wrote with Terry Pratchett. One of my all time top favorite books. I'll probably end up doing an all time favorite books here in the next couple of months now that I think of it. Anyway, I recently also read Neil's book American Gods and enjoyed it so my curiosity about Coraline and my love for Neil Gaiman came together and I purchase the book. I read it a couple of nights ago to the sound of rain in a still night. Perfect background really. I really want to see the movie now.

Slowly (to me) but surely I am making my way through this series. The next book will take me and pass me through the middle point! I LOVE these books. I shied away from Steven King for so long because I thought all of his stuff was scary and would give me nightmares (I'm quite prone to them or I was due to having a VERY active imagination). I'm so glad my friend Nick told me about these and I picked them up. I'm attempting to read at least one a month which means I should be done with the series by the end of June. We shall see.
I highly recommend the series. The first half of the first book takes a little time to get into (at least it did for me) but after that they are so hard to put down. Action, suspense, gunslingers, different worlds. Epic trials. So good. 

and finally, 
the one I started but didn't finish
I wanted to like and be inspired by this book so very badly. I wish I could have found justification to stick with it past the half way point. I was going strong in the beginning getting a third of the way through and some of the things, well, even most of the arguments being made I could relate to or made sense to me. But then it started getting redundant and I really started questioning it and resisting what he was trying to say. It was when he said people shouldn't be held responsible for their actions their pain-body or their ego's should that I really disengaged from the book. I took some positive things away from the beginning but I highly doubt I will take the time to ever fully finish the book. I have promised myself that if the going gets really tough with a book or if I struggle to get through even half of it I can stop reading it and pick up the next book. I feel guilty every time I do this but I just don't have time for things I don't want to read. There are so many things to explore, I don't want to waste my time and get to the end and wonder  why I wasted that much more time on it. If I feel strongly enough that I NEED to read it before I die I will pick it up again.

And here ends The Books of February. It's looking like I'm still on track for the 52 in 52 book challenge!!! This month I just barely made it! Even if I hadn't I did read NINE books last month so I guess I have some wiggle room but still. I didn't want to commit to this challenge but here I am thinking about it all the time all the same!

What books have you been reading? Have you read any listed here?

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. My brother told me to read A New Earth and I did try but it just did not grab me. My sentiments agree with yours!

    ReplyDelete