Friday, March 11, 2011

My heart goes out to those in Japan and those who have loved ones in Japan. I was in the middle of a pity party when I read about the devastation via twitter (see it's good for something) and immediately was put in my place.

The Earth is far more powerful than we give it credit for. I wish more people would take the time to realize that when these things happen. Don't get me wrong, I understand why humans get our first thoughts, but maybe we should also think about why all of these earthquakes might be happening. Not enough oil between the layers? Shifts in weather patterns due to gas emissions somehow affecting the ground and then the plates shifting due to unexpected temperature shifts? Maybe the plates weren't meant to carry such weight that we have put on them with skyscrapers and freeways and such... I am by no means a scientist (no kidding) but I feel like if we keep raping the planet, she's going to keep raping us (as well as all of the animal kingdom in those areas). I don't believe that God is punishing us, I don't think it is that personal. The Earth has to take care of itself one way or another and it is going to react to changes that are brought upon it. I'm just as guilty as the next person, I won't be living in a mud hut anytime soon, I won't be selling my car and traveling by horse or foot... I'm just wondering if maybe we shouldn't seriously reevaluate the things we can. I feel like this is so important, no matter what political party, no matter if you love or hate money. All I can say is, you can't take it with you when a hurricane comes through or a tsunami hits or a blood vessel pops unexpectedly in your brain. Republicans and Democrats alike (as well as all other parties) definitely have something at stake here, their livelihood. I know I'm standing on a soap box here and that's so not what this blog is generally about, but this is something I think about A LOT and it just baffles me completely that my 1 + 1 = 2 logic isn't the same for all humans...

I guess before I get too lost in my thoughts of mother earth and how we should work with her instead of against her I will get back to the point and say that times like these are very humbling for so many reasons. I have my health, I have more than enough stuff, I'm going to be okay.

Again, my heart goes out to all those deeply affected by this natural disaster and I hope for the best possible outcome for all involved.

With a heavy heart
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Corey, this is a great post. I don't think we fully understand yet the effects our actions have on the earth. We know the temperature is now rising and it's because of the way we've been using resources, but there are so many systems with feedback loops and that balance with other systems -- our knowledge is very limited. We really do have to treat our world better.

    And I love the new yellow background. It's so cheery.

    ReplyDelete