Friday, December 9, 2011

Portland Love: Pine State


Portland Love is a series in which I take to the streets of Portland, eating at new places, shopping at new shops, smelling old books and doing my best to not get too wet without the use of an umbrella. It's my way of falling in love with this city over and over again while sharing it with you. Enjoy! 


A few mornings before I moved back home, Nicole and I went to Pine State Biscuits. 
I had never been in the time I had lived in Portland and it was definitely on my list of places to try. The real reasons I never made it that way before was 1) I wanted someone to go with and 2) I knew it was a small place and I was sort of intimidated by the close proximity 3) It closes at 2 and during my second time living in Portland I was rarely up and ready to go anywhere by 2pm. Sad, I know.


I don't remember what day we went on, I know it was a weekday though. Going on a weekend will make you cry. I tried once before when I went on a date and the line was really long so we went down the street instead. Nicole and I went on a weekday though, but we managed to find the lunchtime rush. It wasn't tooooo bad, but we did stand outside to wait for a couple of minutes. A couple of cold minutes.
When we made it across the threshold I was stoked to see the way the place we decorated. So cute. So Portland.


We stood in line, glaring at the guy that was sitting by himself at the table for two when there were places for him at the little bar area. We're really cool...
I ordered the same thing Nicole did, but vegetarian style, (mushroom gravy) and we stood to wait. A minute into standing and shuffling around as other people needed things (seriously this place is tiny) a couple offered the other two seats on their table. I thought that was awesome and we accepted. 


We both ordered The Moneyball, a biscuit with an egg over easy on top. I was a tad hesitant because I really didn't know how I would feel about the over easy egg, never had them that way before. 
For the most part it was delicious. If I ever went back I would probably not get the one with the egg on top. I'm still not ready for liquid egg. But it was good none the less and filling.



I saw later that the couple offered the other half of the table because that is requested of them. I'm not sure I really know of another place like that. Maybe Pizza Port in San Diego, but that's more of a sitting on long long benches kind of thing where this is actually about sharing small tables. I didn't mind it. 
We gave half our table (once the couple left) to a group of four and quickly moved our plates to let the rest sit down after.

I have to say, if you eat here don't plan on doing anything but napping or lazing around for a while. Like hours. Nicole and I went home and took a long, long nap after we ate that. We were useless.

3640 SE Belmont Street
Portland, OR

&

2204 NE Alberta
Portland, OR



xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment