Sunday, March 4, 2012

This Week


What a doozy this week has been. As you know I generally don't recap here but so much went on and I found myself with a longer than normal 52 photos post so I decided to break them up. Separate! 

This week I landed myself a second job, started training on that new job, took on extra hours at my tutoring job, read a few books (I think 3), took a really mini vacation to Palm Springs , judged an Odyssey of the Mind competition, had my birthday dinner with Dad's side parentals, had my first full day at the new job, went to family dinner (at dad's house) and worked out three times. (You don't have to be proud or amazed, I'm proud of myself.)
Phew. While this might be a week of the ordinary to you readers, to me it was a shift from snail pace to jack rabbit. I know I'll get back in the swing of things here real soon, but I would be lying if I said my body doesn't hurt a tad (well, basically just the knees and feet.) I haven't worked an 8 hour standing shift in I don't even know how long. But getting to know new people is generally good in my book and I spent all day trying to learn new things in all different areas. 

Palm Springs, let's talk about that bunch of awesomeness. There is something about Palm Springs, it has such a special place in my heart. I don't know if it just reminds me of really fun, happy times in my life or what, but I really enjoy going there. I didn't stay long this time but I breathed in my favorite parts none the less. What are those? The horizon of mountains and really tall palm trees and the morning air. 
I was there to be a judge for the Odyssey of the Mind regional tournament and I had so much fun. I went up Friday afternoon, unfortunately a tad later than I wanted to. I wanted to see the sunset IN Palm Springs but I ran a bit behind with traffic and what no so I experienced the sunset as I drove through windy roads. I arrived at a Motel 6 and I'm going to be real honest, I'm not going to stay at one of those again. It wasn't horrible but there is a Travelodge right next door (and an Ace Hotel on the other side) that is quite a bit better for not much more money. 



So, I arrived at the hotel, then went to the Ace for some photobooth pictures, then went to Ralph's for my dinner and then went back to the hotel to read. Mostly peaceful night. Went to bed far too late, around 12 if not a tad later) and slept incredibly fitfully until 5:45 am. A wonderful patron at the luxurious Motel 6 decided to honk at his lagging companion not once, but a few times at 6 am. How sweet. I put on my face and brushed my hair, packed up all of my belongings and headed to a cute little coffee shop I had seen the night before. It was cute AND the coffee was good so I was stoked. The it was time to go off to the school. I was way more awake than I expected to be and my upbeat attitude lasted all the way until the end. The kids were all creative with their skits and the balsa wood structures were quite impressive.  
I would tell you more about it but there are still a couple more competitions and so I'll refrain. I did befriend all of the other judges in my team but I especially became friends (for the day as no one has the other's number and we all live semi far from each other) with two lovely ladies. We ate lunch together, talked vegetarianism, books and all other stuff that I just love to talk about. Seriously fantastic day. 



delicious mocha and the high school

hastily stacked chairs and riddles for in between presentations (a random kid wrote the 7's one and he left before giving us the answer... still don't know it)

And it wasn't even over yet. 




After I left the school I headed back toward home. I went a different way than I had come out there so I could stop, once again, by the dinosaurs. That's all I call them, just dinosaurs. I remember when I was young going to see those things and I love seeing them now. So I stopped there for some Holga shots and then proceeded toward home to meet up with the Dad's side parental unit for my birthday dinner. Yes, I know it was a tad early, considering my birthday is Wednesday, but it works and I was excited for it.

We went to sushi at Loveboat in San Marcos... and they had them sing me their birthday song. If you've never been I'll explain, it's just JUST the waiters singing to you, at Loveboat they turn off the normal lights, hit the blinking strobe-ish lights, put on silly hats, extra large glasses and mohawk wigs and all sing happy birthday to you... oh yes, and they give you a birthday cake hat. It's not something for anybody prone to seizures, but it's great and totally blush worthy for anyone else. 


the hat... and me wearing the hat with Dad and Cindy. My dad and I have the same nose and eyes... well, and chins and smile curves... yeah, dominant genes there. 

And then we went back home and I started playing with my birthday present...


That's right folks, I am the proud, oh so proud owner of a Canon Rebel. It's so beautiful and I'm just starting to learn the very basics of new things I can do on it compared to my point and shoot and oh me oh my it's a gem.

I am a very lucky girl. 

So get ready for me learning my way around this beaut!

AHHHHHHHH So stoked!!!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment