Saturday, May 28, 2011

Addicted: Magazines





Hi, my name is Corey and I am addicted to magazines (among many other things like blankets, chocolate, thrifting, books, etc). I just can't help it, those glossy pages and short paragraphs get me every time. The celebrities I love on the covers makes me weak and I just grab and go without thinking about the price. Or there are the others, no celebrities needed just how-tos and tips for days. I'm not going to lie, I've been addicted for years. Any type of magazine can catch my eye. I will roam at a bookstore, going through the racks more than once to see if there is something I don't have yet or could justify buying with only the tiniest bit of interest in the subject matter. Seriously, I know it's a problem. My overflowing magazine holder is telling me just that. But what do I do, buy more. They are my pint of ice cream on sad days, they are my splurge on sunny days, they are on my mind every time I do into a store that might have them and I'm hooked. 

I've recently signed up for a Ready Made subscription and I've had a Bust subscription a couple years ago but I have yet to sit down, gather money and get subscriptions to other magazines I get without fail every month. In the picture above I have all that are with me, whole, right now. 

Whole? you ask. Yes, whole. When I am done reading a magazine (and sometimes even before that) I tear out the pictures that I like, the articles that I want to reread, and any other inspiration I might find. I've literally been doing this since junior high if not before. I definitely hoarded magazines for a while, I would have stacks and stacks but soon I realized that this was not a space efficient way to house the parts I wanted and so the collage-making and binder-keeping began. Yes, I have a binder...

Before I get into my current favorites I want to take a moment of silence to commemorate the magazines that are no longer with us...
These two lovely magazines kicked the bucket a while back (jump many years before jane) and I still have moments of sadness for the loss.

But onward and upward as they say...

My All Time Favorites:
Bust, Ready Made, Real Simple and Lula.

New Favorites:
Artful Blogging, Inked Girls

My grab and go's:
Self, Glamour, The Nest, Nylon

Desperate for a glossy paged fix:
Lucky, Cosmo, Elle, Vogue, Spin, AP, Nylon Guys... who am I kidding, almost anything else...

Yup... and then recently I added a couple of tattoo magazines, well that was just this one time for a collage, but seriously, I can't keep my hands off! I'm getting better about picking up the magazines in the Desperate category. My semi recent breakdowns were Cosmo with Hayley Williams on the cover and Lucky with Zooey Deschanel on the cover. Seriously two of my most favorite famous people ever. 

So there it is, my first posted addiction! Phew, I feel a little better already. I need to make a rule for myself or something. Like, no new magazines until the old ones are all read and taken apart for pieces. 

What is/are your favorite magazines?

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment