Thursday, June 2, 2011

A fact about me: yellow


I don't know if I'm going to keep this as a feature or not but I was sitting, painting my nails and had a thought I wanted to share. So I searched for a picture and came over here to tell you a little story about me.

I'll start this off with something a tid bit obvious, I'm a redhead, well, not just a redhead, a strawberry blonde. Being strawberry blonde is a blessing and a curse, I have so many reasons for each but let's just focus on the one that has to do with colors and clothes. 
As a strawberry blonde I look GREAT, like amazing, (and modest) in some colors. Others, not so much. While some colors make my eyes and hair stand out, others make me look monochromatic, or worse, sickly. Guess what one of those colors is... yup, yellow.

Normally I don't stress too much about colors that don't mesh well with my skin and hair. Light pinks are hit and miss, so are some greens, creams and definitely oranges. Most of these colors I don't even find myself attracted to, maybe besides the creams, but my heart doesn't break when I can't wear them. This USE to be the case with any shade of yellow. Not anymore. Lately I've become obsessed with yellow. The obsession might be sticking because I just can't find a shade that looks good on me and as we all know we want what we can't have. All shades that I have tried thus far make me look washed out (like I need to look like I have any less color in my skin!) and like I need to make my next stop the hospital.

I try and try, still touch yellow things at stores, get jealous over gorgeous outfits on blogs that incorporate a pretty yellow sweater or dress... 
I buy yellow accessories that don't sit against my skin. I have a purse that is white and yellow and I just love that thing. It's the closest to yellow I had dared to get.

That is, until today. I, against better judgement and adolescent memories, bought some (cheap) yellow nailpolish. I've been wanting it forever but there were too things holding me back. First, the aformentioned inability to look healthy with yellow against my skin and second, oh second...

So there was this time, way back, I think junior high, maybe a bit before, when I dared tried yellow polish. I was sooo stoked because it was different and sparkly and yellow and happy. I put it on and the next day at school hoped to show it off. You know what the first comment about the color was, "It looks like you peed on your nails."

Really? I look like I peed on my nails?! I'm laughing in my head right now just remembering that comment. I don't even remember who said it or if I was in a bus or on the playground, I just remember being slightly embarrassed but also a little confused as to how my bright sparkly yellow nail color looked like pee. 

Looking back I should have told the kid to go to the doctor if his pee was sparkly or that bright. I, being in junior high, was not quick with comebacks, however, and still not ready to be a trendsetter, so I kept my mouth shut and took the sparkly pee off my fingers. And like all things negative in junior high I kept the mental note to never, ever paint my nails yellow again.

...

With that being said, today is a moment in Corey history. Not only am I wearing a pale enhancer against my skin, I'm doing it wondering if anyone else is going to say I look like I peed on my nails! 


You know what?! I don't care what anyone says! I love my pee colored nails!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment