Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Fire Starter Sessions -Getting Emotional About Money





I tend to think of money in the same way I regard time: It's a form of energy. It comes and goes according to my intentions. 


Step 1
How do you feel:
About your debt?
Frustrated but hopeful. I don't think I will stop being frustrated until I get it all paid off, but feeling hopeful is new and I like it.

About your income?
I want it to be higher. I am not mad about my income now, I am able to pay rent and buy food and dine out more than is heathy and I can buy books and pay down my credit card, so I'm not crying poor. But I would like a bigger buffer. Some of that will be working towards eating at home more often and some of that will be figuring out how to make more money.

About your savings and assets?
Need more definitely.

About anyone who owes you money?
Nobody owes me money. I am fine.

When you pay for experiences and outings?
Depends on the experience or outing. Sometimes I feel guilty afterwards, sometimes I feel awesome and know I'll figure out how to make ends meet.

When you go grocery shopping?
Excited about the food and hungry but then frustrated when I feel like there's nothing to eat two days later.

When you shop for clothes?
I don't shop for clothes often. I feel like I shouldn't be spending that amount of money at one time even though I'm shopping at H&M or Forever21. I need to work on taking the money I would be spending on dining out and putting it towards some good pieces for my closet.

When you shop for art, decor, or collectibles?
I rarely do this but when I do I make myself think about it. I might even walk around Target with something in my hand and then put it back before I leave because I just don't need the extra expense. But if I really want it I end up feeling happy when I look at it displayed in my room.

Step 2
Identify what a pure positivity with money would feel like.
Not being scared to look at my bank accounts. It would feel comfortable and stable and full of hope and excitement and adventure. There would be wiggle room in case of emergency or spur of the moment trips.
The ability to buy a gift for a friend or take them out to a movie/for food/whatever if the inspiration struck.
Pure positivity with money will feel stable and calm, a foundation that I can feel confident in when exploring new things and places.


There is a part 3... I chose not to do it here.

xoxo

The Fire Starter Sessions and all included worksheets were written and created by Danielle LaPorte

No comments:

Post a Comment