Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Fire Starter Sessions - Freely Associating with Money



When you establish your purpose for money, you have a rudder to help guide your purchases, investments, donations, savings - all the things that you do with money. You also motivate yourself to go get what you want the most. 


Quick habit analysis:
What do you love spending money on?
Experiences, travel, really good food, tattoos, books that I will keep and mark up and learn from over and over, pictures, things to make new crafts out of, gifts for others

What do you wildly resent paying for?
gas, anything that only women HAVE to buy because they have a uterus (bc, tamps, etc)

What do you consider luxurious?
I'm a relatively simple girl, anything piece of clothing/accessory etc that goes over $150 gets a little costly (and possibly luxurious  if it's made well) to me. I like the look of really expensive things sometimes but I know there are other things I want more, like another lens for my camera instead of really expensive jeans.
I consider luxurious to be really fluffy pillows in soft sheets with a puffy down comforter. I consider luxurious to be clean, well made, sturdy and with little stress.
Luxurious is a massage in a dim lit room (by a professional). It's something that doesn't happen all the time, and that's fine, because it's a break in the norm.
But the norm is still great.

When, where, and how are you cheap?
Food in a round about way. I spend the most on food but on the day to day I think cheap when I want to buy it. I rarely go somewhere and pay more than $15 plus tip for a meal. And when I spend that I'm splurging... like, a lot.
I'm also cheap when it comes to experiences and adventures. I'm cheap in the short term but it ends up costing me experiences (and sometimes more money) in the long run. I'm working on it currently.

When, where, and how are you generous?
I'm sporadically generous. Something I want to work on more. I like being able to buy people gifts or cover their meal when they least expect it. I want to have more money set aside next christmas for gifts, even though I like the route I am taking this year. Next year I just want to add some oomph.  


What is your most common money fantasy? If that didn't happen what's the next best money fantasy? The next best after that? If those didn't happen what would be a great way to have money come into your life? Brainstorm many ways.

My most common money fantasy is making enough to put a serious dent in my credit card each month until it's all paid off, then putting what I use to put toward the credit card to my car and then to paying off old debts that no one's holding over my head but I would love to repay in some way. Then it would be time to save for travel. During this time I would/will also be getting a nice savings going.
While winning the lottery or falling into a grand amount of money would be fun, I know that's not what is going to happen. I answered those emails and all I got were viruses...

So really my money fantasy has come down to finding a passion that can be my source of income. And while I'm doing that also learning and perfecting how to live below my means... even if my means are high. My dream life does not have a huge price tag, my dream car is one I had and lost... maybe with a few small additions to it. Or maybe a slightly bigger vehicle for the future, when a family comes together. I'm not looking to own a huge house, or have a really expensive wardrobe... but these wants aren't just so that I can fit in what I think I can make, I want to make more than these things will cost, so I can be happy with what I have, put away for the future and enjoy the world.

It's time to do some more exploring. Find the fire that I've spent years ignoring, push past my thoughts of "I couldn't..." and find out how I can.

xoxo

The Fire Starter Sessions and all included worksheets were written and created by Danielle LaPorte

No comments:

Post a Comment