Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Portland Love: Living Room Theaters

Portland Love is a series in which I take to the streets of Portland, eating at new places, shopping at new shops, smelling old books and doing my best to not get too wet without the use of an umbrella. It's my way of falling in love with this city over and over again while sharing it with you. Enjoy! 

A couple of weeks ago Nicole and I went on a lovely friend movie date. It was a nice day out, so we spent some time (like 20 minutes) on Hawthorne selling her clothes and trying stuff on. We failed to find anything (which was fine) and headed downtown to see a movie at Living Room Theaters. We had our eye set on watching The Trip with Steve Coogan...
Well, Nicole wanted to  watch that movie, I just wanted to go to Living Room. I wasn't really in a picky mood. Or maybe I was but figured british humor (humour... since we're talking british here) would be just fine.

Either way, this isn't about the movie so I'll move on.

The glorious side of the theater. My dear cell phone and I are still not getting along when it comes to taking pictures of backlit things in the dark. Either the backlit letter are showing and the building isn't or the building is and the letters aren't. As shown above. That big white glowing rectangle actually shows the movies playing.

Like this... but see, you can't see anything else now. Sigh, that's a problem for another time.

So, review time... I have nothing, and I mean nothing bad or slightly negative or even just mediocre to say about them.
Seriously, fantastic.
Two picture then I'll tell.

Better side picture kind of...

Blurry movie description picture

Okay, here we are. Why I like LRT...
First, the lovely woman in the ticket window was very awesome to the couple in front of us. She let them have the teacher discount even though he didn't have his card with him. He seemed legit, I would have done the same thing. Excellent customer service.
I wanted popcorn so I stepped up to the small and adorable concession stand register and ordered some popcorn. Their small is actually a small, and their large is HUGE (see picture below) but both are very reasonably priced.
The gentleman ringing me up was very friendly (not in a flirty way, just in a nice person way) and told me that I could have refills, as many as I wanted, of my DC (diet coke). One price, refills?!?! No "do you want 20 million ounces extra for .50?" Awesome.
He filled it in an actual glass. 
We head toward our theater, the seats are large love seats. We found one with an ottoman, well, a block foot rest. 
I realize my DC is without the D. I go back out and say sorry but could I get DC instead of just C. He apologizes and says he must have heard me wrong. Again tells me I still get free refills. I tell him I love him. (not really, I just think it)
Go back in and register gentleman comes in soon after carrying plates of real food.
This place serves you real (and very delicious looking) food, to your theater, to your love seat or recliner! And they have little tray things that pop into the cup holder so you have a place to hold your plate.
Next time I go I'm ordering food I think. Or maybe I'll get food in the restaurant part (yes there's a restaurant part) and then get a small popcorn to take into the movie. Options! So many!
The movie is on, lalala, good stuff. Etc etc.
The chairs are comfortable, they also look really clean, the popcorn is delicious and if I had wanted to get up I could have had more soda for free.
The price for admission is the same as all the other regular priced theaters but it is way more comfy
AND
big part I forgot. After 7pm you have to be 21 to go in. 
Why?
Because you can have alcohol (not just beer!!!) during the movie. You don't have to sneak it in. (Some of my friends are lushes, what can I say.)

All in all, customer service was awesome. Seats were awesome, popcorn and soda were awesome. Everything was two thumbs up five star awesome. 


Safe to say, I love Living Room Theaters!

Resting our feet waiting for the movie, giant popcorn in our reach!

To Visit:
342 SW 10th Ave
Portland, OR 97205

If you have a place you want me to check out feel free to leave me a comment or email me!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I still think of that place as being Panorama- the dance club - before it was the Livingroom Theatre. :) it was very studio 54 for Portland lol.

    ReplyDelete