Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Portland Love: Intro and Voodoo Doughnuts

I decided on day while griping about Portland in my little head (ex: oh it's cloudy, when is summer coming, I always eat the same stuff blaaaah) I read a blog post from someone coming to visit this town. Immediately I thought of all of the things they had to try and places they had to see. I then wondered what other places were around Portland that I had yet to try that I would fall in love with. What other gems were hiding from me? My routine had gotten more than stale, maybe even a little moldy with my sour grapes, and so I decided it was time to clean this opinion of Portland up and fall in love all over again.

From now until forever (or when I do move, because while I love Portland I am still looking to try other places... Springfield, MO, Flagstaff, AZ and Nashville, TN I'm looking at you) I will be trying new spots I have (and haven't) heard about from others. I'm going to share my reviews with you and together we'll get a better glimpse of why some people can't imagine living anywhere else.
You in? Great!

First visit on this (cell phone) tour: Voodoo Doughnuts

pink building, pink boxes, perfectly delicious

crazy signs

The delicious merchandise


Voodoo Doughnuts is pretty well known around these parts and others. In fact, when I moved back up here for the second (third, but who's counting) time both of my brothers asked if I had been to Voodoo. I was surprised that either one of them knew what Voodoo was. I mean, if you live in Portland you know what Voodoo is all about but if you don't...
I guess during my years back in San Diego Voodoo had found themselves on a couple of popular tv shows (reality tv) and ever since their lines (while really long before) were always filled with tourists now. 
Right before I left Voodoo Too opened by I had never been inside. When I moved back it was the one I had to go to because the one downtown was closed for remodeling. Thinking about it now, the remodel of the downtown store was very, VERY necessary. This company has grown and their fan base is huge. I guess that's what happens when tv shows find out about your delicious (and totally strange) creations. Now, instead of being this hole in the wall shop, (not even exaggerating, the first Voodoo was the tiniest little thing, could uncomfortable fit maybe 20 people if they were all touching, TINY) they have a corner shop with bigger doors, room for a line (that still doesn't stay in the shop), two registers, two cases and some more room to stand. It's looking really good. I'll always have a spot in my heart for the original shop though, walking there from Dante's (which will be a later post) to grab my favorite donut while passing hungry bums on the street. Or grabbing a donut with friends before driving up to the highest point in Portland and laying in a circle while our voices echoed. Glorious.

Anywho... this visit I decided to not only get the donut I know and love (The Ol' Dirty Bastard), but to branch out and try something new. I settled on the Blazer Blunt. I was not let down.

The donuts I bought are as follows...

Old Dirty Bastard: 
plain donut with chocolate frosting topped with oreo pieces and peanut butter drizzle

Blazer Blunt: 
cone shaped plain donut covered in cinnamon and sugar and the larger end dipped in maple and sprinkles

No Name:
Plain donut, chocolate frosting topped with rice crispies and drizzled in PB
I like to call it ODB's Doppelganger 


Basically it goes without saying that this place gets an A+ in my book and will never let me down. Voodoo is Portland in a shop, strange, quirky, delicious and inviting to all types. 

check them out here:
22 SW 3rd Avenue Portland Oregon
1501 N.E. Davis St. in Portland Oregon

I hope you enjoyed this first post in a series of many...

If you know of any places in Portland I HAVE to see let me know!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to go to Voodoo Donuts on my last visit to Portland, but it was closed! I must have to pilgrimage back someday!

    ReplyDelete