Friday, July 15, 2011

Journal Day! : Prompts from Sometimes Sweet


Danielle over at Sometimes Sweet introduced her new post series a couple of weeks ago and I was immediately interested in her idea. She started a Journal Day and talked about how she use to have her students write for a certain amount of time on J Days, starting with a prompt and going anywhere they wanted with it. I remember doing exactly this in my junior year of High School and loving it. I was very often willing to share my writing, and most often it veered off of the prompt path pretty fast. A memory I hope I never forget, one morning I decided I wanted a smoothie so I started to make it and realized we didn't have any smoothies, frozen or otherwise. I was set on this smoothie so I used strawberry jelly as a substitute. When I went into my English class we immediately started with journals and who knows what the topic originally was but I went with it and then talked about my genius jelly substitution. The boy I had a huge crush on at the time laughed which made my heart soar (it was a good laugh, like he thought I was clever) and it was awesome. 
So, in spirit of those awesome memories, I am going to join in Journal Days. I skipped the first one for now, but the second prompt is below... Join us if you dare! :)

The older we get, the more certain we get about who we are and what our purpose is.  For me, a lot of it is still unknown, but as I make my way down my own path, I have begun to realize that there are indeed some inevitable truths that I know for sure. On your own blog, write a post that talks about "the one thing you know for sure."

I've been thinking about this a whole lot lately. What I know "for sure." I know for sure that things change, that friendships morph either into something stronger bearing any weight that distance or obstacles can bring it and others break with the lightest wear. I know that I should eat healthier and go to bed earlier. But all of those things are pretty universal. 
What I've realized, or re-realized, or extra realized, is that my parents love me. 
It seems so simple. Of course they love you, some would say. And it's not like I actually ever questioned it. Some epiphanies aren't so ground breaking that you see everything in a whole new light. Some take time and space and circumstance and then a tiny little reminder and they come, telling you what you already knew. 

Over the past few months I've started to find my own ground. I moved away for space and peace of mind to figure out how to navigate this life landscape on my own two feet. I needed to hear thoughts that were mine and mine alone, not influenced by others no matter how caring or concerned.
It's been no quick jaunt in the park, I've been working on "finding myself" for years now and every time I think I have a good hold it slips away. But this time, this time, my grip is stronger, and even more sure. I'm learning to love myself for who I am and where I come from. As I learn how to be happy with all that I am I appreciate more and more where I come from and what helped me to be the person I am.

This was the underworking, the slow move toward realization of what I already knew. Then, in the past week I looked at two photos and everything clicked.
I wish I still had the second photo but I only have the first. (mom sent the picture after reading the post!)

I was looking through pictures of my dad and for some reason his tattoo on his left arm caught my eye. I've seen this tattoo for years now and I don't think about it too much but once again I saw part of my name (it is my and my sister's name) and I was like a 5 year old again for a second. "oh! my name! that's myyyyy name." You know, it's very important at that age to find things that are yours. 
So I commented on the picture saying something along the same lines, like "I see my name!" To which Dad replies "that was the idea, who else wears a billboard with your name!"
Touche Dad. Good, no, great point. And that's when it hit me (again). My Dad loves me. It didn't hit me because my name is on his arm, or anything like that. I don't need showy things to understand that he loves me... just that tiny dialogue made it click again. 


A similar click happened a day or two later (possibly before, I am not quite sure) when my little brother (mom's side) sent me a picture from his phone of my picture on my mom's bulletin board. He said that she missed me and loved that picture. 
Now, I've never questioned my mom's (or dad's) love. I've never thought they questioned my existence, never. That's not what this kind of epiphany is about. It just is. It's a feeling that is latent coming to the forefront.
Nothing they could purposely do would bring it forward. It just waits for a day a time, a feeling, a smell and suddenly I'm overwhelmed with something I've always known to be true.

If you ever question it mom and dad, I love you. Please know that I love you as sure as I know that you love me. 



xoxo


1 comment:

  1. Love your journal entry! I've been thinking about participating in Sometimes Sweet's journal feature too- but haven't gotten around to it yet.

    Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. You're right, "should" is such a horrible word! Your thoughts mean a lot to me. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete