Thursday, May 31, 2012

Between the Lines: Reading Lolita In Tehran


The first time I read this book was on the plane going to San Francisco. I don't know which trip it was, if I was coming from San Diego or from Portland, but I know that there were so many parts of the book that I was underlining that the gentleman sitting next to me looked over and asked if I was reading the book for school. I told him I wasn't and he seemed a little perplexed. Why would a girl be marking up a book so ferociously if it wasn't for school?

For pure enjoyment.

I went through several moves with the book and finally, the last time I moved to Portland I gave my copy, pen marks and all, away because I thought I wouldn't ever read it again.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, making a new friend through a blog program I did, and she was talking about how she was getting rid of her copy because she just couldn't get through it. I jumped at the chance to take it off her hands and so, when it came in the mail I read it again.

The book didn't disappoint the second time around. It was just as beautiful and I marked the pages again, sometimes with pencil, sometimes with pen. 

While there were many parts I loved the following quotation has some relevance to my life right now. Definitely not to such a serious extent as that which is discussed in the book, but something I can relate to none the less.

Dancing with your jailer, participating in your own execution, that is an act of utmost brutality.


xoxo


2 comments:

  1. I'm reading it now for the first time & LOVE it! And I underline things as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so beautifully written. I read a lot of it on a plane ride the first time and I remember the person next to me thinking I had to read it for school because of all the marks I left in it. I said, NOPE! Just want to remember.

      Delete