Friday, February 17, 2012

Between the Lines: An Abundance of Katherines


I'm going to start with "I loved it." I mean, I read it in one night. I stopped maybe one quarter of the way through to nap but then after spending a little chat time with my mom and brother while simultaneously searching the fridge and pantry for something to eat (no success) I went back to the book and read it to the end.

I often question my own review of books. I find myself reading things that are sometimes formulaic, think Nicholas Sparks, or cliché, but I love, love, love them none the less. I use to worry that liking these made me seem less smart, and to some it might, but I think of them as breaks from the work my brain does on a daily basis. (Most work it did use to consist of worrying, now it's worrying and wondering if I'm good enough at just about anything.) 

But this isn't about me, it's about the book. And I liked it. I liked it a great deal. I would recommend it to those who enjoy YA lit. 

I'm not going to go into telling you why, if you want to read it or want to know about it's about just hop on over to amazon (it has 4 stars out of 5 there) and read what they other say.
I'm going to leave you with my favorite part in the book though... here it goes:

"She ran off. It was not the way Curve smelled that Colin liked - not exactly. It was the way the air smelled just as Lindsey began to jog away from him. The smell the perfume left behind. There's not a word for that in English, but Colin knew the French word: sillage. What Colin liked about Curve was not its smell on the skin but its sillage, the fruity sweet smell of its leaving."
I mean, it's so cute and nerdy at the same time. And I love perfume... not Curve, and generally not super fruity smelling perfume, but perfume in general. It brings up such strong feelings. Do I have a sensitive nose? Maybe. But certain smells make me so giddy even just for a second, and later they might relax me.
Anyway, I really connected to that part and so I wanted to share.

It's been a while since I've done a Between the Lines. I miss them.

Maybe they will be more frequent in the future. I've just been reading a lot of self-help/business books that there isn't just one part that I can take out from the whole.

Anywho, happy reading!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment