Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What Color is Your Parachute



I at one time wanted to make a blog all about doing the exercises in What Color Is Your Parachute. I put off the exercises many many times however and decided against the separate blog. Tonight, while wondering what I could do to be somewhat productive I opened the book and started giving the exercises a try.

Here's what I came up with:

Favorite knowledges or expertise:
Photography
Reading
Blogging/Writing

Where I would most like to live:
This one I could only come up with qualities, not sure what towns/cities all fit them.
- I want seasons
- I want it to be a nice community supportive of the arts
- I need it to be liberal like San Francisco or Portland (or at least partly so)
- I want traffic noise to not affect my sleep (no earplugs please)
- I want there to be a sense of tradition and culture in the city
- I would love it if it spanned a small space like Portland or San Francisco so it's public transportation and walking friendly
- I would love it to be tidy (not necessarily sparkling clean) and if at all possible mild humidity but I would forgive the humidity for other great qualities

My favorite people to work with or observe:
Artistic
Social
Investigative

My favorite values & goals:
Heart - love in the world/compassion
Eyes - beauty in the world
Mind - safe mind, bring more understanding

My favorite working conditions:
-Great product/service/goal
-positive community feel where negative criticism is replace with helpful hints
-possibility of traveling, not stuck to a desk all day
- social!

Salary & desired level of responsibility:
- either I want to own my own business or be part of a business of equals
- 40-70k

Favorite transferable skills:
-Being of help/service to others
-Organizing house or office
-Intuitive of person situation
-analytical reading
-observation and survey of people's behaviors and words
-counseling people on next steps
-researching information of interest/finding answers

So I have most of the questions answered and I still have no idea what I should be doing. I love organizing people's houses and offices (and definitely re-organize mine at least every month and a half). I love reading for pleasure and to learn, I love gathering information and I love, love love, photography.
I have no ahhhh ha! Feeling after this.

So the book now says write down 3 favorite skills and 3 top interests
1) researching
2) observation of people
3) being of help/service to others

1) photography
2) reading
3) writing/blogging

And now, what do you, dear readers think of when these six or even 5 or 4 things are together? What job-title or jobs can you think of with these things?
skills:

No comments:

Post a Comment