Monday, November 12, 2012

A Glimpse of Halloween







I have a confession and I'll start it here... I'm not really that good at celebrating holidays. Well, I wasn't. I kind of acknowledge Christmas in the years past with certain movies and last year surprising my mom with a tree because she was stressed and needed the smell to remind her that holidays have some good parts, but I usually just rush right through them and catch a hint of a feeling for them but not much else. 
This year I didn't really mean to start celebrating better but it kinda happened when I decided I wanted to enjoy my days and weeks and months more. 
As long as were in the mood for confessions I'll say this... I'm not big on Halloween. I don't know if I ever was. Something about having to decide exactly what I want to be and then carrying it out with all the bells and whistles never really spoke to me... I mean, let's be real, my most used routine of getting ready in the morning takes about 30 minutes tops... it use to take over an hour in high school. I like to keep things simple. Dressing up for Halloween? Not simple.

Long story semi short, I let holidays pass me by especially Halloween because I'm just not that fancy.

So, in order to enjoy the season but still keep my simple, not fanciness about me, I decided I wanted to go to a pumpkin patch, make/bake pumpkin seeds and make caramel apples. No costumes, wigs or anything else like that needed. Just a knife or two, a willingness to get my hands filled with mush and some caramel.
Luckily I was prepared for all of the above.

After work the day before Halloween Maddie, a friend and I went to the pumpkin patch in Del Mar to see what it was all about. Unfortunately it wasn't exactly what I was hoping, but it served the purpose of helping us procure a pumpkin AND gave us a steady and sure prop to take a picture on. 
We left maybe 20 minutes after arriving, but our hands weren't empty. I decided I was going to make caramel apples while Maddie and friend carved their pumpkins. 

I warmed the caramel while Maddie dug in... you'll see a picture above to understand how absolutely normal and not crazy she looked with that knife aimed at that pumpkin. No worries here, we just live in the same house...
She carved, I melted, stirred and eventually poured the caramel onto apples stabbed with forks because I had not the memory to get popsicle sticks the night I bought the other supplies, nor the will to go out for just the sticks... I made do.
Apples were set, faces were put into pumpkins and I attempted to bake some pumpkin seeds... everything was a success except for those pumpkin seeds. I even looked at a recipe (of two steps) online but they didn't say what to do if you wanted to get some of the extra pumpkin off of them... I figure I could have strained the semi clean seeds a bit more before mixing them with butter and salt, but that's a hypothesis to try another day.

Maddie had success with her pumpkin (and her valiant steed earlier), but not as much luck with the wig. I was thinking it was either Marilyn after a night of crazy... dancing OR einstein. That incident proved my point about the costume thing... no thanks.

On the night of Halloween I finished a book, did some laundry, ate one of the apples and watched Jennifer's Body... the last thing being a Halloween tradition for a year now... not that doing it one year makes it a tradition... but it happened and I'm calling it a tradition... so there tradition deciders!

I guess I'll end this with a question... is there any one else that is not that enthused about Halloween? Am I one of the only ones?

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment