Thursday, September 8, 2011

Portland Love: Saint Cupcake





Portland Love is a series in which I take to the streets of Portland, eating at new places, shopping at new shops, smelling old books and doing my best to not get too wet without the use of an umbrella. It's my way of falling in love with this city over and over again while sharing it with you. Enjoy! 




So I know how I've said a couple of times (here and here) that I like Betty Crocker cupcakes just as much as any gourmet cupcakes, but I'm now stepping off that soap box and stepping onto one that is in full support of a little place called Saint Cupcake.
To die for.
I want to go get one right now but know that I would end up with more than one and eat them all in one sitting (which I did recently... in my defense they were the mini ones, but there were about 6 of them).

The day I took the pictures for this post was the same day I went to Sauvie Island for berry picking. I have since been back a few (like 3 or 4) times and each time have been so very happy with the cupcakes.

Front window... 

Main wall

The cupcakes! And look at the little displays underneath. So cute!

living room birthday party

more reasons for cupcakes

patio eating

closer look at the cupcakes

I have yet to try the vegan ones.

they come in a pretty, pretty box

May have already put my finger in the frosting by that point....

The trifecta

Sampling...

The Flavors:
Vanilla with Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Red Velvet
Pumpkin Spice

All were delicious. I make sure to try a red velvet cupcake anywhere they are offered to figure out what I feel about the bakery. I'm a snob like that. Saint Cupcake did a really good job. It wasn't too dry and the frosting was rich and delicious.
The Pumpkin Spice I now get every time I go. I have found that any pumpkin flavored treat I get is usually really moist which is perfect for me. I love pumpkin things, I was so excited when I saw that cupcake offered.
The Vanilla with Chocolate Fudge Frosting was the closest to my betty crocker cupcakes but I fully admit it was at least 5 times better. Frosting not out of a small container is probably better for me in the long run anyway. :)

The woman helping me the first and second time I went was awesome. She was friendly, helpful and answered all of my questions. I asked her when I walked in if I could take pictures for my blog and her only request was that she be given a chance to tidy up the cupcake trays. Of course! Probably why you should always ask small businesses if you can take pictures. Maybe they want a chance to put their best face forward. Honestly I'm going to say a bunch of amazing things about this place anyway, but I liked how she thought.

She was really helpful, the cupcakes are divine, every single one of them...

What I really like about Saint Cupcake
1) The cupcakes, duh
2) The selection: while some of them do change there are many of the same flavors every time I go
3) The selection again: There are more than 5 or 6 flavors to choose from and they all have distinct differences
4) Vegan options, and not just one I might add
5) exceptional customer service
6) proximity to me
7) The store Noun behind Saint Cupcake... SC is the front room and the back room is a store called Noun that has a bunch of awesome things. A bunch. In fact, when I use to live here a few years ago the front room was where the cash register for Noun was and the back part of the second room was Saint Cupcake. The set up makes great sense now (don't get me wrong, it was cute and fun before too) and I need to stop gushing now because it's getting embarrassing.

Moral of this story, go to Saint Cupcake!!!

Saint Cupcake

SC Galore
1138 SW Morrison
Portland, OR 97205

SC Deluxe (The one I go to)
3300 SE Belmont,
Portland, OR 97214



xoxo


If you have a place you want me to check out feel free to leave me a comment or email me! 

1 comment:

  1. Apparently, there's so much more for me to see in Portland! This place is really cute. I'd love to try that vanilla vegan cupcake. You'll have to go back and tell me what you think.

    ReplyDelete