Saturday, September 3, 2011

Books of August

I started this post twice midway through the month without realizing it until about a week ago. This month went by slow and extremely fast at the same time. On one hand it seems like ages ago that I read Long Quiet Highway (the first book from this month) but on the other hand I swear I just paid rent for August a couple of days ago. 

Regardless of what my mind feels about August passing, it has gone and done it anyway. Now it's September, back to school time. I am considering taking a couple classes at the community college to quell my longing to be back in a classroom. 

All that aside, here are the books I read in August!

I'm going to say I liked this book, because I did, but I'm not going to keep it for my collection. I bought this book around the same time that I bought Through Painted Deserts and I think I assumed they were both about road trips, I mean, the cover even looks like it's about a road trip does it not? But the author comes recommended by Julia Cameron and so I picked it up and read it the end of July and beginning of this month. Mostly this books is about Natalie's relationship with learning Zen teachings and applying it to writing in a way. I found it interesting and informative but not as good as Julia Cameron's Sound of Paper


This book was quite sad and depressing but definitely beautifully written. One character I liked the most while the others just made me more sad. I thought about watching the movie before I read the book but now I'm not so sure, I try to watch things that have the cliche happy ending and not the beautifully written but not exactly happy ending.

Awesome. Love her, it's no secret what so ever. Love her style, got so many ideas for pieces I need for my closet! Taking it slow though, credit card is locked away.
(I am not counting this book in the 52 in 52 because there isn't THAT much to really read and I would feel like I was cheating.)

Best book of the year. Other books are going to have a hard time getting to this level. I've read some awesome books thus far but this one takes the cake.

Semi predictable but definitely a pleasurable read. While I don't think it's a read again type of book I am inspired to read her other books and some of the scenes still stick out in my mind really well.

Loved the movie and didn't know that this book was what inspired the movie until I found it at the bins! Awesome. Definitely different than the movie, which is good considering I've seen the movie several times. This book definitely told an uplifting tale. 

We have 19 weeks left in the year and I have 12 books left to read to meet 52 in 52! Think I can do it? Yes, yes I do! 

Jeeze, 19 weeks left in this year. It speeds by faster and faster with each passing year. Cliche I know!

What have you been reading? 

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. i'm with you on "the hours." it made me sad too, but i loved it at the same time. so beautiful.

    http://pleasebreatheandhush.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how unbelievably fast the year has been going either. I'm currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife. Haven't seen the movie yet. I always read the books first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsterjean- The Time Traveler's Wife is a gorgeous book and you'll understand the movie way better because you read it. I went to see it in theaters with friends who hadn't read it and they left a little confused until I explained some parts. Her other book Her Fearful Symmetry is gorgeous. Absolutely wonderful.

    Katie- I have a hard time reading sad but beautiful books, the whole time I was reading The Hours I wanted something more cheery. Do you find yourself like that too?

    ReplyDelete