Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Walking the Halls


It was quiet because it was Sunday, though there were cars in the faculty parking lot. I walked up to the front entrance and some of the feelings of high school just swept back over me. I only meant to take a picture of the front area but curiosity got the best of me and I ended up walking most of the campus. So much had changed but so many things were the same. I walked by one of the science classrooms and the smell was as it always had been, a bit musty, a mix of the rubber hoses and cleaning supplies. It took me back to my first couple of weeks of freshman year. 
I kept thinking of how I missed the familiarity of it. High School wasn't all fun and games, I battled depression (thinking it was just me being emo) through the second half of my time there, but I still missed it. I think I missed the invincibility that comes with that age. You're not really out of reach but you feel like you are, you feel like you have a pretty good handle on things. And then graduation comes and college follows and there goes the carpet. 
I'd give a lot for some of that confidence. I gained confidence in other aspects of my life, I'm way better off there, but the feeling of invincibility, that feeling was better than gold. 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment