Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Fire Starter Sessions - An Introduction & Passion Play








The Fire Starter Sessions, an Introduction:
For the past few months, scratch that, past few years I've been feeling a little lost. I'll think and think and think and try to find something I want to do, something I am meant to do, but I don't dream big, I don't believe I can have anything I ask for (big or small) and so I don't ask people, bosses, the world, the universe, for what I want. I usually have to have a really great reason for asking for something, but the problem with finding really great reasons for them to say yes, is that I can always find decent reasons why someone's going to say no, and I anticipate it, and then take it as the last word when it comes.
I've read several books that could be labeled "self improvement"over the years, I've read magazine articles, I've written words and thoughts and ideas, I've made half assed promises to myself through these readings and still, I find myself in similar circumstances feeling like my travels have been in circles on a level field, no upward movement, or if there is, only a very (and I mean very) slight incline.
Then I picked up The Fire Starter Sessions. And with TFSS I promised myself that I would read, and re-read this book, I would do the worksheets and stick with them even if the questions made me cry (and they did and do, often) until I got something out of it. The good news is, the book is awesome. From page one I was drawn in and I connected with what was being said. The first step was there, laid out, made easy for me, Danielle LaPorte was putting things in terms I understood.
During the first run through I searched for other bloggers who were sharing their answers to the worksheets because I was confused or unsure. I knew technically there were no wrong answers but I wanted examples, I often do.
The first run through was tough, I didn't have a lot of answers, my dreams were small, very small, and I figured out I'd stopped hoping, like hoping enough to believe something could without magic. So I decided to go through the exercises again, I decided a second reading would be great, and this time I would share my answers here, on the blog. If I was searching for some examples, surely there's someone else out there looking for them too.
Every Thursday (and sometimes Friday) from now until the end of the year I will be posting my answers to the worksheets along with a quotation that I found helpful or enlightening. Some of these worksheets will still be difficult for me, but I promise I'll do my best to stay positive and full of hope.
Oh yes, and I highly recommend this book. There have been many tears to grace the pages, but also a lot of enthusiastic underlining and ah ha moments.

With all that said, here we begin!


"Be careful what you're good at - you could end up doing it for years."

Worksheet #1: Passion Play
What are you intensely interested in... include moderate curiosities as well.
intensely:
- dancing
- reading
- writing
- self improvement
- the dynamic of relationships, family, friend and romantic
- photography
- collecting beautiful pictures
- trying a new project and succeeding (ie: making something)
- sharing stories, interests and suggestions
- story telling
- making people laugh, comedy
- making connections with other humans
- self expression
- blogging
moderate:
- cooking and baking
- drawing and painting
- crocheting and sewing

You go to the best cocktail party ever. You meet the most awesome, helpful, resourceful people and they offer to contribute to your career and interests... Who's there, what info did they share, what did they ask, how did they offer to help?

Who's there:
Lauren Conrad, Kelly Cutrone, Zooey Deschanel, Emma Stone, Alexandra Patsavas, Ryan Gosling {I'm just going with dreaming big okay? ;)}, John Green, Becka Robinson, Ellen Degeneres, Taylor Swift, Hayley Williams

Lauren Conrad - Her real life and work story. People can say what they want about how she got where she is but she got what she wanted and is doing great. I've love to talk about her different projects, her Style book, her YA novels, her website The Beauty Department and everything in between. I would even promise not to ask about Heidi. I would also love to watch the show she was suppose to have that MTV ended up not picking up because it wasn't dramatic enough.

Kelly Cutrone - read her book If You Have To Cry Go Outside and fell in love. She's such a fierce woman and has so much more to her than was shown on The Hills. I mean, duh, it was The Hills... but still. I feel like I could get a good strong kick in the pants with strong steps to follow from her. I am not interested in breaking into the fashion industry, and I know the first two ladies I put in are both involved in that, but their work ethic and their projects inspire me. I want to be as in love with what I do as they are.

Zooey Deschanel - Another power house of a woman. She sings, acts, and has Hello Giggles. She does comedy, she can be serious, she basically seems to do what she wants, no questions asked. Also, I would love for her to take me shopping so I could find some of the stuff she wears. Adorable.

Emma Stone - teach me to be as cool as you. I feel like we could really get along though. I mean, of course I feel like that when I've never known the person but seriously, I think we could be funny together. She could teach me more of her ways. She's incredible.

Alexandra Patsavas - I use to want this woman's job SO BAD. I mean, she chooses the soundtrack for some awesome shows, gives small bands an awesome opportunity, she gets to listen to new music all day and decide how it will fit in a 30 minute to hour long show. Awesome.
I don't want that job anymore, but she did start her own company and became really successful and well known (at least I think so) and I could definitely hear about that.

Ryan Gosling - duh (Just search Ryan Gosling reads Hey Girl)

John Green - Definitely my favorite author. I love the voice that he creates, I love the characters and the feelings he puts into his novels. I just love, love, love it all. If the terms of meeting him meant I couldn't ask him specific questions about any of his books I would be fine. I want to know more of the process and the inspiration behind what he does. How he got to where he is... etc. If he really believes in the love he writes about.

Becka Robinson - She's my all time, favorite business, inspiration, get it together and go blogger. The Coffee Cup Chats I love so much, she's honest, she says what needs to be said and she likes to read. She talk about books that I end up liking a lot. I also love the design of her blog, it's so visually pleasing, blog crush for sure. Also, I would get photography lessons from her.

Ellen Degeneres - She's so frickin funny and I love her. I would love to know more about her transition from coming out on her show to then getting her talk show. It definitely wasn't an easy time but she kept going and she's rocking life and I want to hear that, to remind myself that I haven't had that kind of thing to push past, that there is a way to be happy or at least continue pushing when things look bad.

Taylor Swift - I mean, I would want to be buddies and talk about boys and such. Don't get me wrong, I feel like she has a LOT of information to share about her success and her work to get there... but I feel like we could giggle too. And then we'd go shopping and after we would come home to an apartment because we'd end up being roommates (despite the face that she probably has her own house etc) and we'd bake cookies. This girl and her music keeps me from feeling crazy, she reminds me that sometimes you just need to get it out, and then move on and make big bucks being talented and awesome.

Hayley Williams - Ms. Hayley has been one of my favorites since I first found out about her. A voice that just keeps getting better, plays with the boys but can also be a girl, rocks out, writes what's going on even if it gets a little crazy in her life. Her energy and dedication is something to aspire to.

If you could go to five conferences or events this year which ones would you go to or what would they be about?
- Camp Shutter Sisters
- The Wild Rest
- pole convention
- tattoo convention
- SXSW Interactive

What could you talk about late into the night with like-minded people without running out of things to say?
Life, past stories, relationships, all types of photography, books and music and back to life experiences. Give me the right people and we will talk forever.

What activities make you feel really useful, alive, and strong?
- pole and go go dancing
- photography
- when people get something good out of what I say or do
- listening and helping out friends

What do you want to be known for?
I want to be known for the positive impact I've made of people's lives. I want to be known for the work I do because it's beautiful and inspiring, two words that get used very frequently and seem to have lost a lot of meaning. I want my beautiful creations and words to inspire positive feelings.

Next week: Easy Priorities

xoxo

The Fire Starter Sessions and all included worksheets were written and created by Danielle LaPorte

No comments:

Post a Comment