Wednesday, July 10, 2013

From the County Fair

 


There's something about fairs and carnivals that make me really happy. I think circus themed things fit into this as well though I don't like going to the circus nearly as much. Maybe the animal cruelty thing gets me with those. But circus themed things as well as fairs and carnivals made me a little giddy. I love the colors, the sounds, the candy, the horrible food, the possibility of summer love.

What use to be called the Del Mar Fair (now the San Diego County Fair) is definitely a highlight of the year. It's a sign to my city that summer has come and it's time to celebrate. It's time to forget those bikini bodies for a day and sink your teeth into deep fried... well, deep fried just about anything. I believe I saw a krispy kreme sloppy joe advertised... yeah. It's a special place.

I don't ever find myself on many of the rides, but I still love to walk around the games, hear the calls from carnis, see young couples holding hands, older couples holding big stuffed animals that they probably spent a couple twenty dollar bills to win... I love the feeling, the carefree laughter and screaming of the people on rides.

This year the fair did not disappoint. In fact, it was better than I could have imagined. I went twice, once with a group from work and then with a good friend. Both times were awesome for their own reasons. The first time I stayed away from most of the food because I was planning on bungee jumping and didn't want anything to go wrong. I did go on the drop ride, got myself at least somewhat prepared for my jump, I watched my friends go on some others and then we hit the beer garden. I didn't drink until after my jump, and then I had a $8 bud light. Yes, it was that expensive, for a bud light. Gotta love the fair.
The first go round was longer, a more thorough time. We went on rides, they ate all the different foods between the lot of them, we drank, danced to horrid cover bands, tried to win prizes, and, oh yes, got kicked off the ferris wheel.

If you didn't know this about me yet, I'll tell you now...

I. Love. Ferris. Wheels.

And we got kicked off. Because my friends are goons. Surprisingly I'm not upset about it though, it's a good enough story to be worth all the tickets I gave away so they could come on with me (and then get me kicked off). That's what friendship is for right?

The second go round was a later adventure, my focus was definitely more food oriented, or at least dessert. We did a quick tour, saw Joan Jett for a second and then went back for more food. It was the day before the 4th so it was a little busier than I like, but I was still at the fair, and so, I was happy.

Oh yes, and during my second trip there were the animals, the cows, bunnies, goats and... there was an alligator... I'm pretty sure he's not alive and that they charge two dollars per person for a fake thing. Either that or I feel sorry for the beast. His cage gave him little room to do much else but play dead in the water. There was a cooler at the end of the short walkway in his exhibit and we wondered what could possibly be in there. At first we wanted to think it was his food, but I think it was probably just the ticketmaster's food and beer. I'm not sure that alligator actually eats anything anymore.

All in all, I did the fair well. I'll probably end up going to another one in Orange County before the summer is over, possibly alone so I can walk slowly and take more pictures. But this was was good for experience and memories.

It's been a good summer so far.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment