Monday, July 29, 2013

52 dishes: 13/52


You may have noticed a steady decline, sigh... fine, an outright disappearance of 52 in 52 dishes. It's quite true, I took a break from cooking, it started with a very upset stomach for months and months. I ate mostly bananas, sometimes toast and whatever wouldn't make me feel like heck.
I went through tests, spent a special amount of time in doctor's offices, added debt to the credit card and more. No answers other than, it's not the thyroid, blood levels are fine, no parasite... maybe it's stress, maybe it's not.
After a series of tests and getting bills I didn't expect I decided to take a break from the doctor. During this time I started making myself eat a little more protein even when I didn't feel hungry and just tried to stay calm about the whole thing.

Slowly but surely things have been getting better. When I stress about what my stomach is doing it gets worse, but when I just let it ride things are far, FAR better than they were before. I'm actually hungry like I use to be and the list of what I can eat is definitely expanding. Food and I are slowly but surely becoming friends again and with this rekindled friendship I have started wanting to cook again. Well, that and drumsticks from El Pollo Loco, roast beef sandwiches from Subway and fries from work just weren't making me feel all that healthy.

This week I've spent nights watching Friday Night Lights and making spaghetti and preparing cold noodles and other things to put in salads at work.

In a few days I will be house sitting and will have access to a glorious kitchen with just about every cooking appliance I could ever want. During this time I am doing to be trying to play catch up a little on this whole 52 in 52. Now I don't plan on going to nuts and making 18 new things in 12 days, but maybe 5 or 6? Doable!

I spent sometime on Pinterest today getting an idea of the things I want to make and I got so excited that tonight, on my way home from family dinner I decided I just couldn't wait and I was going to make Lemon Ricotta and Poppyseed Waffles. I had to purchase a waffle maker to do so, but I bargain shopped it between Target and Walmart and found my new best friend. (The waffle maker)


They turned out delicious. Honestly I think I was expecting more of a lemon taste but maybe I'll just put more lemon juice in or more zest with the sugar when I make them next time.

Other than the lack of obvious lemon taste these are so delicious. I paired the ones I ate right off the griddle with raspberries and the last two I added almond slices to. We'll see how those turn out, a little crunch.

I'm excited for the house sitting and trying recipes that need a food processor and a big mixer that can knead dough!

Here's the getting back on track with my project and getting excited about food again!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment