Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Books of January

First full book of the year, technically I was still re-reading The Art of Happiness when the clock struck 12 but I won't count that one. We'll start here with Hector. Delightful book, quick and easy read with a simple style for a not so simple topic. Hector searches for what makes people happy all over the world and writes down lessons. Very charming.

Second book of the year and the one that motivated my choice/decision to go vegan. (resolution #5) It is not an argument for veganism and I do recommend it even if you want to keep eating meat. Honestly it's just asking for people to be aware of the current situation because money and advertising are painting us a pretty (and not so true) picture. 

This I didn't technically start in 2011 but I got side tracked with the other books so half of it made an appearance in my reading this month. Such a good storyline, this one pulled me in almost immediately from the beginning. I'm excited for #3 but might make myself wait until February, I have other tasks to cross off my list and other books to read!

FINALLY did the exercises! Phew. Am I any closer to finding out what I should be doing with my life, maybe a tad but I did not have an ahhhh ha feeling when I completed my diagram. 

This book is absolutely fabulous. It reminded me of Special Topics in Calamity Physics which is one of my favorite books for sure. It's not exactly like Special Topics, in fact it's only very slightly similar but I was so happy it was because I've been looking for something like it for a while now. 

I took this as a fun/ semi serious read but ended up really gaining some quality information from it. A review I read about the book made it seem just as hard as her tv personality but the book is really full of encouragement and maybe it just struck a cord because I feel similarities with her (made out to be a raging witch when really just don't take crap and love to be honest) but I felt way more positive about everything in my life than I have in a long time. I really like Kelly Cutrone and have since I first saw her on The Hills no matter how intense she was made to seem. I honestly can't wait until her second book comes out. 

Cute book written about a chance at love on an airplane flight from NY to LA. Yes, if it were a movie it would probably be a rom com. It's from the perspective of a guy though which is a nice twist but I'm still a skeptic. Do guys really fall hard for just one woman? 

World War Z held my interest pretty well for a story composed of interviews. Actually, that's probably why it kept my interest so well. I love hearing people's ideas. It gave this broken feel to the story because  nothing was 100% sure, but it was all perspective. I don't know if I missed it but I still want to know HOW they became zombies in this one.

I had started this while watching Season 1 of the tv show but left off a couple episodes before the end. I would watch an episode and then read to that part in the story but the TV show and the book/comic/graphic novel are pretty different so I didn't know where I was leaving off and if I was spoiling things for myself so I stopped reading for a while. Now that the Season 1 was done I decided to finish up. So far I like the book storyline a bit better. I still can't wait for Season 2 though!




I'm really excited about his idea of posting all the books I've read each month. Look forward to it 12 times this year!!! At the rate I'm going I might be able to make the 52 books in 52 weeks after all. In all fairness though I did have a good amount of free time this month.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment