Thursday, August 1, 2013

Required Reading: Summer List


A month or two ago Dani over at Sometimes Sweet posted a Summer Reading list and ever since then I've been meaning to do my own. Then she posted another reading list this week and I was reminded and re-inspired to make mine. 

The problem is, I have so many books to recommend. Fiction, YA Lit, Memoir (ish), Self Improvement... see my dilemma? 

It's okay though, I decided on upbeat* reading since it's summer. Most of these, heck, all of these are easy, quick reads if you want them to be. They can also be nice slow reads, something to savor. Either way I think you might just like them. Here's a little intro for each:

Happier At Home - I've already recommended this here, but it works well for summer too, so I figured I would put it here again. I loved the Happiness Project, love it. Read it twice, got ideas for my life... her second book was full of more ideas. I think we could all benefit from a Happiness Project or two. I haven't embarked on a year long journey like Gretchen but I stay inspired by her none the less.

The Queen of Babble - This book is cute and fun and reminds me of The Shopaholic Series but with a little less anxiety because the main character isn't spending like crazy. A quick read, something for the pool or the beach... or the couch, or a lazy morning in bed.

You Are a Badass - I cannot say enough good things about this book. I recommend it to anyone that is wondering what's next or needs a little (or a lot of) encouragement. I'm on my third reading and I have a feeling I'm going to make a not sheet to look back on. Maybe just open the book randomly on days I have a harder start. I will recommend this book up and down and all around.

The Lucky One - It may just be because I am watching the movie that came from this book but this is one of my favorites by Nicholas Sparks. The Notebook definitely wins top spot, and now that I think about it, Dear John probably comes in second, but this might just be second and a half. If you have seen the movie, know that the book is better. I mean, I don't hate the movie, but the book is definitely better.

An Abundance of Katherines and Paper Towns - I've sang John Green's praises on just about every book of his. I would say read any and all of them. I put these on the summer reading list for a reason though, they are both road trip books and summer is made for road trips. I can't pick which of Green's books are my favorite, both of these, on second read, battled for a top spot with The Fault in Our Stars and Looking For Alaska. So, do yourself a favor, and read ANY of his books. Any of them.

I have a huge stack of books I need to get through before I get another but I'm always taking suggestions, my good reads to read list is almost overwhelming but I can't help but add to it still. So give me some titles, what are you reading?

xoxo

*minus a few parts in The Lucky One, but what do you expect with Nicholas Sparks? 

No comments:

Post a Comment