Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Book Report: I Am the Messenger



"I love the laughter of this night.
Our footsteps run, and I don't want them to end. I want to run and laugh and feel like this is forever. I want to avoid any awkward moment when the realness of reality sticks its fork into our flesh, leaving us standing there, together. I want to stay here in this moment, and never go to other places, where we don't know what to say or what to do. 
For now, just let us run.
We run straight through the laughter of the night."

I Am the Messenger... where do I start talking about this book. It's not an instant favorite. It was, all the way up until the end. Then there's a twist that I did not like one bit. But the rest of the book was great, there were parts like the one above that I could just live in. The relationship he has with his female best friend, the dog that smells to high heaven with the name of The Doorman, his best friends and their defense mechanisms... all of this book, up until the end had me. And I'll keep it around, with post it notes on certain pages, for certain passages, because they were what I was looking for when I picked this book up.

Do I recommend the book? I do, despite how frustrated I was with the ending, I recommend this book.

I DEFINITELY recommend this author's other book, The Book Thief, (I wrote about it here) that is definitely an all time favorite book of mine.

Do you have books like this, that you connected with until suddenly one thing went wrong and you felt a little less engaged? Do you still recommend them to some people that you think would be okay with what you hated?

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the book thief. Even though I was frustrated with that ending too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cried so hard with The Book Thief. I don't think I was frustrated with the ending. I need to re-read it. I just know I was bawling in a hotel room on my way back to San Diego.

      Delete