Thursday, May 23, 2013

Book Report: Eleanor & Park


Recently I've been reading a lot of self improvement/self help books. It was getting to where I never had a break from thinking or analyzing. I was craving something but no fiction sounded good. And then I was looking through my bloglovin feed and Dani posted about a summer reading list. Thank goodness. There were three books on her list that I was curious about immediately. This was one of them. I became even more curious when I saw that John Green, possibly my favoritest (it's going to be a word for this post) writer ever, had good things to say about it.

So I bought it. And I didn't necessarily like the description but I read it anyway. Seriously, John Green backed it... I'm in. I'm glad I haven't read anything that has him backing Twilight, I might cry.

Back to the point, I read it, and got lost in it, and definitely liked the book.

Short synopsis, no spoilers: A boy and a girl, strangers at first, first love, music and comics, and then there's a heavy story underneath. There's more than just a hint of reality, of imperfect life in this story.  It's nothing as heavy as The Fault In Our Stars or even Looking for Alaska, but it's close and different heavy, and real, and something I haven't read before. 

It made me miss a part of high school that I didn't even have, or maybe it just made me nostalgic for that kind of love, that kind of affection. Again, not something I had in high school, but it reads well. 

I definitely liked it. I'll take a few months to see if I loved it, to see if I miss the story and need to read it again. It's not unlikely, the story definitely came alive in my head. We'll see.

I'll be reading other books by Rainbow Rowell too, I liked her style. 

Do I recommend this book, yes, definitely. Does it top some of my other YA favorites? No. But it's good, it's worth the read. 

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment