Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Weekly

a gorgeous morning view/ the man/ one sip of moonshine/ Insurgent/ cinnamon rolls/rolling out the dough/ sister's birthday

The Weekly is a Friday, Sunday... or maybe just about any day, round up. The Weekly is a processing and a record. It is a mix up of currently and around here with a look at the past and the future. 

Adventures:
Delicious Saturday breakfast at Don's Country Kitchen, I highly recommend it.
Family pictures at Kit Carson Park. Pretty sure there was a High School drug deal going on in the parking lot but the actual park was lovely. 

Thinking about:
2014. It's December and I've finished my 52 in 52 early, which is quite a shock considering I didn't do it for so long. But the baking bug bit me these past few months and I definitely caught up. It has made me think of what next year's 52 in 52 will be. I need it to be a challenge, but not so big of a challenge that I get overwhelmed. The first year I picked books because I hadn't been reading that much, the second year pictures because I wanted to have a better relationship with my cameras, this year I picked cooking because I don't know how to make very many meals and at at restaurants a lot.
This coming year... I am scared to say, is probably going to be about exercise. 
There's other stuff I'm thinking about for next year too, what my motto is going to be, possibly "lean in" which will go with the 52 in 52 perfectly... more on that closer to the new year...
What books I'm going to read for a second time next year, if I'm going to take a Spanish class, or maybe a writing one... I love fresh starts. And I know you can decide to have them any time, but the new year, and then my birthday, are my favorite ones.

Loving
The written word 
These posts. Even if they are the only posts I have all week.
Planning for the new year.
Pinterest... obsessed and using too much data scrolling through that lovely site

Reading
-Read Insurgent, book two in the Divergent series. Love this books so much. Can't wait to read Allegiant, but I have to wait until Christmas at least because I asked for it with the Secret Santa thing at work. 
- Started to read Organize your Mind, Organize Your Life. Not sure if I am going to stick with it or not.
- Started Everything's Perfect When You're a Liar. Not sure if I am in the right mood to read it but I do love the author's tweets. @KellyOxford

Cooking:  
-Attempted overnight oatmeal twice, once with steel cut oats and the other time with quick oats but neither worked out. Not sure what to do about that.
- Also attempted churro popcorn... no success yet
- made cinnamon chips (like chocolate chips, but cinnamony sweetness) for aforementioned churro popcorn recipe 
- Cooked a delicious dinner of chicken with sweet potatoes and onions in the oven. I ate every last bit of it over a three day period. That never happens. I almost always throw away some leftovers.
- overnight cinnamon rolls. I did it, I faced a cooking fear or two (dough and perceived difficulty) and made some absolutely delicious cinnamon rolls. I am going to tweak the recipe in a few spots next time and I'll remember to have cream cheese to actually make a frosting/glaze, but they were plenty sweet without it this time around. Very happy with how they came out.

Working on
Ideas for Christmas presents. I have decided I have to calm down and think of a good present, not the peerrrrfect one. Too much pressure. Last year I did great for my Dad and C. 
I'm envious of the people that are pretty much done with Christmas shopping by Thanksgiving. 

Celebrating/Moment of gratitude
- The sunset on any given day
- Driving to work via Coast Highway and seeing waves crash into the rocks. That was a great way to start the morning, and I had cinnamon rolls to bring to my coworkers, it was a great way to start the morning.
- Quiet moments with the man, holding hands. 


Lovely Links:
Before you press snooze
I want to make a light up marquee
Two great posts from Allison Vesterfelt about feeling discouraged and quitting something
This post about a photographer's rituals makes me itch to take my camera out more

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. My boss made overnight oatmeal for the kids last week! She did both, quick oats and steel cut. The quick oats were too mushy for their taste, but the steel cut, she said, were perfect! I'll have to ask for her recipe to share with you and see if that works out any better for you! (I wish I liked oatmeal, because it sounds like a great thing to prepare overnight and take with me on early work mornings!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a good recipe! As it is now, I just throw some quick oats in a tupperware with cinnamon and brown sugar and take it to work to microwave. I feel like there's better oatmeal out there waiting to be made!

      Delete