Wednesday, November 20, 2013

On the Empty Page, Loving the Process and Baked Donuts



It seems that lately I have had a big of blogger's block. Really quite frustrating. I think about this space and know I want to write, I might even open up a webpage and type in blogger, I might even stop myself from being distracted by bloglovin and click on New Post, but then I just sit and stare. Sometimes I start typing things, and then delete... write some more, then delete again. It's been this way since Nashville. I still don't know what to write about that experience. Maybe I'm in that place where I think everything has to be perfect again, where I can't just write to document, but this has to be a blog that will one day generate income.

I put a lot of pressure on myself in just about every aspect of life, this one is no different. Maybe I should start a challenge, a 52 in 52 blog posts next year maybe. Sometimes that's not so hard, but other times it is. That one would have to be week specific, unlike this year where I've been catching up with my 52 dishes in leaps and bounds for the last two months.

Speaking of that, if anyone were to wonder what I've been up to, I would have to say it's one of three things... working at the new job, spending time with my man or cooking. But when I say cooking I mostly mean baking, and when I say baking I mostly mean donuts. I found myself an obsession it seems. It started in Nashville, I had a delicious pumpkin donut from Ellie's Doughnuts and I wanted to see if I could recreate it. So I searched pinterest for a recipe, and decided baked was how I was going to have to go (one day soon I might dive in to fried, but until then, I have a tin for the oven). I made them and shared them on the first day of my new job. I had a pretty warm welcoming. Later that week I brought buttermilk donuts with cinnamon and sugar on top, and then the next week Cinnamon Roll Donuts.

I've gone on to other donuts since then, figured out the perfect base donut, worked on several glazes, taken suggestions, and thought of possible christmas presents... it's been an adventure. Like most of my obsessions, I thing this one might die out somewhat soon, there's only so much I want to do with a donut. But there's some good, no, great, that has come out of this. I've fallen in love with the standing mixer. We have one at my house and we have one at my dad's house and I'm so ready to use it every day. Not only this, but I've found a love of baking. What use to be a wild hair occasion has become an almost nightly ritual. This week I even got up early on a Monday to bake. Me, early... on a Monday. It's  some sort of amazing and I'm really liking it.

I know that sooner or later I'll have to cut back a little bit, I have other things to do after work, I have actual dinner/meals to be made as things made with heaping amounts of sugar don't count. But I'm happy, because I've found my love of the process, at least in the baking kitchen.

I'm hoping to find a way to learn to love the process with a couple more things, like working out maybe, and even writing here. Maybe then I won't get so caught up, maybe then more posts will make it out. It's time to experiment, I don't have to know exactly what my blog's going to be. I can let go and just write.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya on the blogger's block thing. I've been going through a bit of that myself.

    Also, bacon on donuts? Whaaa??

    Also also, I love your new blog layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bacon maple donuts. I even put a piece of bacon on a chocolate glazed donut, it was so good. soooooo good.

      This layout is an in between. I think I'm moving onto something bigger and better but for now the banner is pretty awesome.

      Delete